Which reloading press?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Which reloading press?

Post by dustinflint »

With all the new matches we're going to have in Louisiana next year, I'm going to need to reload for high power, CLA and pistol cartridge; so I'm going to have to get some gear. What press is everyone using? I'm hearing the Dillon progressive press is good considering the speed and the high number of rounds that will need to be reloaded.

What should I get?

Dustin
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Which reloading press?

Post by Bob259 »

dustinflint wrote:With all the new matches we're going to have in Louisiana next year, I'm going to need to reload for high power, CLA and pistol cartridge; so I'm going to have to get some gear. What press is everyone using? I'm hearing the Dillon progressive press is good considering the speed and the high number of rounds that will need to be reloaded.

What should I get?

Dustin
I have the Dillon 550 (actually have 2 of them) and a Redding T7. Currently I load my HP (6.5x47) with the Redding T7 and use the DIllon for all the rest. Still like the control I get with each step for the 6.5, however I know a lot of folks are using the Dillion for everything without any problems. So if you can only choose 1 I'd go with the Dillion.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The 550B is a great press. I only have one and use it for everything.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

I cant agree with Bob and Jerry more. Buy the 550B especially if you are going to change cartridges often. I had the 550 and now own the 650 and if I was switching calibers often i would have another 550. Changing primer sizes on a 650 is a major pain. If you get a 550 do youself a favor and buy the strongmount so you can mount the container for your empty brass closer to your hand that works the handle and feeds the brass. You can also mount the bullet tray on the strongmount. A 550 set up this way gives up very little to a 650 and will change calibers much quicker. Regards, Mark
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I go along with the other guys, ( Dillon 550B ) have two of them, one set up for small primers, and one for large primers, and 11 eleven tool heads each one with its own powder measure. I can go from 45 acp to 308 in 3 minutes, or any other caliber. For precision benchrest competition I use hand dies, and RCBS Partner presses.
Evelio.
Evelio
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks very much to everyone that replied. I believe that I'm going to go with the Dillon 550B. If anyone has a used one that they want to get rid of, let me know.

Dustin