first rfle

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: first rfle

Post by 44 mag »

What about the new weatherby vangard II? I was just looking at the Grice gun shop add and they are new out. They are guaranteed 1/2 moa and the come with a 2 stage match trigger for $489.00. They come in 7mm-08. I think I am gonna look into one a little closer.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

44 mag wrote:What about the new weatherby vangard II? I was just looking at the Grice gun shop add and they are new out. They are guaranteed 1/2 moa and the come with a 2 stage match trigger for $489.00. They come in 7mm-08. I think I am gonna look into one a little closer.
This is the exact same rifle as the Howa 1500, so if you can find the Howa for less than the Weatherby you could save a couple bucks there too.

However, I don't think they say the trigger is a "match" trigger. They just call it a two stage. I personally haven't tried the new trigger yet. Wonder how it feels.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: first rifle

Post by dustinflint »

What are you guys doing with the triggers on the Savage and Tikka rifles? Does the Accutrigger adjust down to 2 pounds? Does the Tikka come with an adjustible trigger or do most folks put an aftermarket trigger on that rifle?

Dustin
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The Savage will adjust down real light and smooth. The Tika does have an adjustable trigger but I don't know how far down it will go. The Tika a very good factory trigger.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Weatherby claims the new Vanguard 2 has an adjustable 2-stage match trigger. But.... My eyes say that it isn't very complex, just a simple 2 lever design.

I hope someone buys one and tells us all about it.
- Joe
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

edgehit wrote:Weatherby claims the new Vanguard 2 has an adjustable 2-stage match trigger. But.... My eyes say that it isn't very complex, just a simple 2 lever design.

I hope someone buys one and tells us all about it.
sounds better all the time, simple is great, most jard and rifle basix are simple, as is the timney i have for a savage axis

i had a 308 vangard a while back, it was great other than the trigger was like dragging an anchor down a dirt road. action is pretty stout.

i have not seen the vangard 2. i cant wait to hear some reports.
dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
thskeer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by thskeer »

I just posted my Hunter rifle in the classifieds...... all the waiting is over, and it shoots too. :D :D I'm open too reasonable offers too.... Tom
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I am building a Savage now..If it shoots half as good as it looks it will be a real gem.
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a box stock Remington in stainless steel varmint action and bbl. in .260 rem cal. It shot 1 1/2" for a 5 shot group at 300 meters. I forget the exact load but it was with IMR powder and a 140g match king bullet. I was sold after that. I'm sure it wouldn't shoot that tight 5 times in a row but , WOW!! factory bedding, factory stock. Great start.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

tenx9 wrote:A few years ago a friend of mine bought a box stock Remington in stainless steel varmint action and bbl. in .260 rem cal. It shot 1 1/2" for a 5 shot group at 300 meters. I forget the exact load but it was with IMR powder and a 140g match king bullet. I was sold after that. I'm sure it wouldn't shoot that tight 5 times in a row but , WOW!! factory bedding, factory stock. Great start.
Some of those rifles are awesome shooters out of the box. I had a friend at work asked me to glass bed his new Rem 700 7-08 SS detachable mag with plastic stock, he gave me some Remington factory ammo and I wanted to shoot it first to see how it did before glass bedding it. The rifle was so accurate that I gave it back to him and told him the rifle did not need to be messed with. I was actually afraid that it may not shoot as good after bedding and my friend was only going to use the rifle for hunting.

On the other hand after David Tubb won both rifle classes at the Nationals in 1993 with a "factory" Rem 700 DMS SS chambered in .243 a bunch of us bought rifles identical to his but ours would not shoot the Sierra 107gr bullets and would key hole at 100 yards so we had to buy faster twist custom barrels.
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

In those years, Tubb was being funded by Remington. In fact he did rebbl those rifles. He also has a 500 meter range in his back yard. They also changed the rules that year and put straw down where the animals fell because they were getting stuck to the stands with mud because the 107's didnt have enough energy. He would shoot 10,10, 9, 3 or whatever, all ringers on the rams. Tubb being Tubb, he could prob shoot a .22 short and still hit 35 animals. Like him or hate him, in those years he was awesome.