260 Rem loads for 107s and 130s using RL-15 (or Varget)

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

260 Rem loads for 107s and 130s using RL-15 (or Varget)

Post by Jason »

Got all the necessary goodies in today to load up some ammo. I'm finally ready to toss some powder into some cases. I have a few pounds of RL-15 that I would rather use, but also have some Varget if necessary. Does anyone have load info with the 107s with RL-15? I also have a big box of the Norma 130s that I am planning on using for rams, so loads for those would be great, too. I've been advised that 38.5gr of RL-15 for each would be fine, being a nice soft load for CPT and a thumping load for rams. That's a bit close to the upper end of the pressure range from the couple reloading manuals I have that list it, though. It makes me a bit uncomfortable throwing a hot load into a rifle I've never shot before. I don't have time to develop loads before the match at Pe Ell on Sunday, though. The first time I shoot the rifle will be with whatever loads I make and test at the range 2.5 hours from home at Pe Ell on Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for any info/advice you can provide. :ymapplause:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 260 Rem loads for 107s and 130s using RL-15 (or Varget)

Post by Jason »

While I'm asking, advice on how far off the lands would be greatly appreciated too. :)

On a side note, these Redding competition dies are SWEET! :D
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Seeing as you have no time to test and develop loads, just pick a mid range weight of powder for each bullet weight. Set your bullets so they are .010 or so from touching the leade. That Redding competition seater die will do a great job of pushing the bullet into the case nice and straight. Keeping bullet runout to less than .002 measured at the tip is the most important thing. Bullets that enter straight travel straight. You should invest in a bullet runout gage like the one Sinclair sells.

From the looks of that fine rifle, the quality of its parts, and the talent of the folks that put it together, I bet it will be a real good shooter.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Hey Jason glad to hear you got all the stuff you need. I will bring down some extra rounds if need be for you as well, along with your blue ano trigger shoe. For the 107's I use 39 grains of Varget for the C,P,T and 43 grains of RL-19 for the Rams with a 142 pill out front. Have been thinking about droping both loads down a couple grains to see what I get. 8-} See you Sunday.
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Ditto on bullet run-out Bob, If I had to pick the two most important quality control tools in my shop it would be the RCBS casemaster and pact chronograph.If the bullet is started down the bore straight and exits the barrel at nearly the same speed as the all the others that covers it. I would argue that using the benchresters seating depth method is superior but use what ever your comfortable with. I like the Redding die as well because it helps you weed out bad cases, loaded rounds with poor run-out are usually repeat offenders because the neck isn't concentric. Turning necks alliviates the problem but there's always the "dreaded doughnut" that can creep into cases with turned necks and cause poor run-out.
:-o This does not take into consideration a properly bedded action and properly mounted scope.
Back on topic, the common thought used to be that 600 foot pounds of energy was the minimum required to reliably topple the ram target and yes alot of targets have fallen using that standard. However variations in target and stand constuction, wind conditions, range conditions"mud on the target feet" and a plethora of other things to numerous to mention have lead me to believe that 850 foot pounds on the target is a much more reliable figure. Adjust the speed of those 130's to achieve that 850 lb on the target figure and hold center!
Good shooting,Kevin
quote="Bob Mc Alice"]Seeing as you have no time to test and develop loads, just pick a mid range weight of powder for each bullet weight. Set your bullets so they are .010 or so from touching the leade. That Redding competition seater die will do a great job of pushing the bullet into the case nice and straight. Keeping bullet runout to less than .002 measured at the tip is the most important thing. Bullets that enter straight travel straight. You should invest in a bullet runout gage like the one Sinclair sells.

From the looks of that fine rifle, the quality of its parts, and the talent of the folks that put it together, I bet it will be a real good shooter.[/quote]
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason, Since you helped me out with my .22 mag. ram load I would like to reciprecate. I have four .260's and they all shoot very well with 38.0 grs. of Varget behind both the 107 and 142 SMK's. The 107's are actually quite plesant to shoot. I only lost a few rams with this load ( law of average's will eventually get you ). Good luck and good shooting. Al
Team Sierra Member
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Jason, thanks for your help on my 39a trigger so....

I use 38.5 grns of varget over a 120 for cpt and 36.5 grns of varget over 140 or 142s Here is the drop out of a 24 inch barrel.

pigs 3 moa
turkeys 6 moa
rams 13 moa with the 140 and 12 moa with 142's. I have lost 1 ram last year with this load. Recoil is minimal.

I will be switching to 107s once my 120s are gone. I am thinking that 38 grns of varget is going to be good for the 107. The 107 is going to be flatter than the 120 due to the bc being so much better.
tim