reloader 15

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

reloader 15

Post by shakes »

I am having a hell of time finding anybody thats got reloader19 in stock. Has anybody had any experience with reloader15? I went to Alliants web page and it looks to me like reloader15 could be used for silhouette. Does it not have enough velocity out at 500 meters to reliably knock down the rams? Thanks for you help :D
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: reloader 15

Post by Jim Beckley »

Can't help you with the R-15, but a few swear that Alliant gets their Reloader series of powder from VV, which sometimes the supply just dries up, I was shooting VV-150 in my .260 and I had a back up load with Varget, maybe it's something to think about, getting a backup load with a powder that you can walk into any mom and pops and get. Just my .02.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Shakes,
I've used both Reloader 15 and Varget in my 6.5x47 with good luck. Currently using RL15 for my Ram loads.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Matt, I burned up that 7x57 barrel with a steady diet of RL-15. It is the powder of choice in both of my .308's....the original .308 barrel on my 788 was also fed RL-15 . My 7-08's dont care for it at all. It is a little dirtier burning than others, but nothing a little more scrubbing and few more patches wont handle. Montana Extreme is the best solvent I have found to deal with it's residue. I give it two thumbs up.....in my guns. :-bd

On the other hand, my shooting partner has only bad words to say about RL-15 in his 6.5 x 47L. I bought the remainder of his 5lb.jug from him.

It is a great propellent in the right applications. Only going out and testing some will prove if it a good choice for your .260 Rem.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I have not had good luck with either RL-15 or RL-19 in the .260 or .708. Both powders have very steep pressure curves and that combined with sensitivity to temperature changes makes for more trouble than there worth. That being said one of the best coyote loads I've ever used was one I worked up with RL-15 and 115 grain Speer TNT-3350fps. These days I use Varget, you give up a little speed but it's more accurate and much more stable in wide temperature swings. Chronographing your Reloader loads will bear this out.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

I have had great luck with RL 15 in everything from 22-250 to 375 H&H. In my .308, 42 grains behind a 168 SMK exhibits amazing accuracy and consistency. Sierra lists this load as the top accuracy load using 168 SMK in .308. In my 6.5x47 it is right up there with Varget in terms of accuracy and consistency. A significant number of Sierra's top 7-08 accuracy loads listed are with RL 15.

I suspect there are a significant number of terrorists/insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan who wish (if their brains were not laying on the ground) that the US military was having the problems Kevin speaks of. That is, RL 15 is the powder used in the M118 (7.62x51/.308 Winchester) sniper round.

As an aside, I use RL 19 in my 7-08 Ai and RL 22 in my 30-06 Ai with fantastic results.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I can only recount my own experience with the reloader powers, I use a Pact professional chronograph which is very accurate. If I told you the sun would rise in the east tomorrow you would probably argue that it's not exactly east this time of year Jim!! Have you ever chronographed loads during the development process?
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

Kevin, not trying to argue one way or the other. Just pointed out my experiences and observations.

In answer to your question on load development: no, I have not used a chronograph. However, I suspect the US military did when they were deciding whether to use RL 15 in the M118 round and I think the continued use of that round in the diverse temperatures of Afghanistan and Iraq is probably a good, real world, testament to the stability of this powder.

I like Varget also. In fact, that is the powder I use for my 6.5x47 Lapua highpower silhouette loads.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I wouldn't automaticlly make that assumption, this is the government were talking about. They probably went with the lowest bidder when making ammunition choices.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

I'm another RL 15 user. In load development for my 6.5-250 RL 15 turned in the best accuracy. Better than Varget in this gun though we are talking about less than important differences for silhouette. I use 34.0 grains behind 107 gr SMKs and 31.5 grains behind 142 gr SMKs.

Varget should be another good powder. I suspect H4350 might work as well. I know another shooter using AA2520. H4350 is used by some 260 Remington shooters.

I don't have my burn rate charts but there are other powders in this medium rate range that should do well.

Good luck on that shooting.

dwl