best score yet....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

best score yet....

Post by shakes »

Shot a 31 in highpower at PeEll on the 1st of the month and had to do a shoot off with Eric Boos for match win. Man those shoot off situations shooting against a former national champion are nerve racking to say the least. Anybody got any tips on how to calm the nerves down in a match win situation like this? Needless to say I got first and Im very happy with a thirtyone only after 5 highpower matches.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Congratulations Shakes... I don't thnik you need any help and have it well under control :D

Keep up the great shooting!!!

For the advice.... I'm sure Mary will have some for you as Coates and she are ending up in shoot offs anymore, talk about pressure.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yeah.. the answer is easy. Experience. The more shootoffs you do, the less stressful they are. I haven't shot against a previous national champ in a shootoff yet, though, so I can only repeat what others who have told me and has worked for me so far. Just think how nerve-wracking it would be to do it in a big match. :)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

259, having a youngster shoot off against you is almost as much pride in loosing as winning. Of course you can't let the little brat win or you'll never hear the end of it got to keep 'em in line some.

Shakes, congrats on the score and don't worry Eric will have his daughter to contend with on the line soon. Time and experience will help al ot, take every chance you can at a shoot off, no matter how big the match, just for the training.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

Yes, more is definitely better.
Our alarms ring when we are faced with any new or strange challenges.

I was always told;

'Just think of it as an opportunity to shoot off more shots than anyone else !'

It's a positive experience, .....you get to shoot more shots than you would have otherwise, ....and that's not a bad thing now is it !

cheers,
Sean in 'Gondwanaland'
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 308 »

That was the military shooters way of doing it, by that I mean to shoot in matches and shootoffs every chance they could, of course that was in smallbore but the practice is sound at every level.
In the mid to late 80's at Jacksonville the military guys were there almost every time I showed up, and if you were going to have a chance in the winners circle you better have your ducks in a row.
Troy Lawton even showed up somedays, he was not a mere mortal, unreal offhand skill... 308
Now, if I can just get 10 Turkeys in a row!!!
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

shakes, i would suggest that if you ever have a chance to go for a long run, take it, i think that tryin to keep knocking down your own animals and not worrying about the other shooter have helped me before. besides you might even break a record :D
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
webmaster
Site Admin

Re: best score yet....

Post by webmaster »

I'd suggest something, but until I fire 31/40, I'll keep my suggestions to myself. :D
coldbeerchief
B Poster
B Poster

Post by coldbeerchief »

Shakes, how's that Weaver T24 doing?
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

coldbeerchief wrote:Shakes, how's that Weaver T24 doing?
thats what was on the gun that got me that score. Its working just fine, thanks :mrgreen:
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
2lbtrigger
Unclassified Poster

Post by 2lbtrigger »

Your name should now be "steady"!
Great shooting!