snug rings

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

snug rings

Post by silhouette13 »

not really a hp silo question but , what would the HP folks suggest for a tight fitting ring, i shoot a 375jdj contender w/ 225gr spirepoints and the recoil causes my old style weaver rings to slip(the scope will rotate) i firts noticed this last year when working up some handloads they are stout! i thought they were just not tight enough so i wrenched them down pretty well. anyway the gun is very light and thusly a lot of free recoil is generated. after 15 or so shots yesterday it had rotated again.

what would you suggest? theyare in a weaver mount so weaver slot rings would be best.

i have burris zee rings on my sb rig how do they handle recoil?

dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Don't have the Burris on anything with high recoil, but have the Tally and Leupold's on my HP's and they seem to work real well.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Back when I was nuts enough to shoot a 14" Contender in .45-70, I used a ring / base set made by Redfield. It was all steel, had two dovetail rings and a third opposing screw type ring. The 2.5x Leupold EER scope never moved for as long as I had it. You still might be able to find one.

The guy I sold the gun to still has not worked up the nerve to fire it.

Burris steel Z rings are top notch, especially when used with the supplied friction paper strips.

SSK still offers their T'SOB scope mount

http://www.sskindustries.com/contender.htm
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I lap my rings first then I cut two strips of regular news paper as wide as the rings and long enough to wrap around the scope body with out over lap, I then put the scope in the rings attach the tops and snug em down the way you normaly would. presto !!! works for me...the paper seems to reduce the slip as well as keep the tubes on those shinny scopes ring mark free....
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I've had good luck using matte finished rings and scopes , there rougher than the high gloss and don't slip as easily . If the gun is one than I think might be a problem I coat the contact surfaces with blue lock-tite,very thin,use the one that's the consistency of lithium grease. Haven't had one move since I started doing this.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
kahuna
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kahuna »

I will sometimes use blue lock tight between the ring and scope tube.
Larry
N.R.A. Life member