Lapua Silver Jackets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
A. Hebden
Unclassified Poster

Lapua Silver Jackets

Post by A. Hebden »

Does anybody have experience with the Lapua Silver Jacket (SJ) bullets?

Pro's, con's?

Could they be mixed / alternated with copper jackets?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Is it a nickle jacket or simply coated with moly? I've shot the Calhoon nickle jacketed varmint bullets and quit shooting them because the nickle wash was difficult to remove from the barrel. If allowed to build up it actually boosted pressures.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Silo65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Silo65 »

The SJ are moly coated.

I shoot Lapua 139/123s and like them. I used to shoot them with moly and when I did I coated them myself because I didn't want to spend the extra $. I saw no real difference in moly or not, either in accuracy or cleaning. I shoot the gun for both halves which amounts to about 90 shots a day before cleaning. IMO with a good barrel it doesn't matter in silhouette.

I would not alternate moly/bare in a shooting session. You'll lay down copper between moly and have a difficult time cleaning, since the moly layer may make you think you've got all the copper but you still have more to uncover. Stick with one or the other and clean to bare metal before switching.

The other thing to consider is that moly rounds are loaded with different powder levels to obtain the same velocity. You'll have to work up new loads when switching to moly.