Hybrid......II

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Hybrid......II

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Last August I put my Ruger 77 7x57 into retirement. I wore out the factory barrel at 4600 rounds since when I bought it new in 1995. I put a 3-9x Leupold on it to have as an extra hunting rifle and put it in the back of the safe.

I dont like owning guns that I cant shoot alot. I got to thinking about the successfull M70 project a couple of weeks ago. I did not want to spend alot of money on a new match barrel. A year ago I bought a new Remington 700 24" satin finish 7-08 barrel off Guns America for $40.00. It was a warrenty replacement, not a takeoff, that ended up for sale. You just cant go wrong for this price. I put it away for a rainy day.

As we dont get much rain in these parts, I did not think too hard about doing this conversion. Out came the Ruger and four to five hours later I have another 7-08 mouth to feed.

The machining needed was near identical to the M70 job. Both the M70 and the M77 have similar breech area dimensions. I had to make a 4140 spacer ring, blasted and blued to match the barrel. Again , no effort was made to index for the barrel marking. This time it came out in a good spot. Only some minor wood work needed for a float condition.

The M77 is a well made , high quality push feed Mauser derivative made from an investment casting (lost wax process). From there it is precision machined to final dimensions. Being a .30-06 action length made no difference on how well it feeds and extracts the shorter medium cases. It functions fine.

I took the Leupold 12X off my Rem. 788 .308 for now till I see if it is a shooter. I may take it out tommorrow for a test run.

Kevin......#7....you got some catching up to do.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z94/BOBMCALICE/M77/
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Hybrid......II

Post by kevinbear »

Kevin......#7....you got some catching up to do.
Funny Bob
You can build them faster than I can buy them, I've got a couple rifles that need beadblasted and blued, do you do it or send them somewhere? email me directly.
Kevin

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z94/BOBMCALICE/M77/[/quote]
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I was able to resize part of my supply of WW 7x57 brass to 7-08. This is a process that alot of people use to reform brass to a desired cartridge from a similar parent case. I got 100 cut on my lunch half hour, will get to the other 300 as needed.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z94/BOBMCALICE/7x57/

Bob259....dont you be looking at my lathe with those lustfull eyes of yours. :P

Psalm something: thou shalt not covet thy neighbors lathe. :wink:
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Sure take all the fun out of it.... Nice work Bob.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Eric-WD
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Eric-WD »

Nice Case Trimmer. :wink:

Eric
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Eric-WD wrote:Nice Case Trimmer. :wink:

Eric
McAlice likes a little overkill on everything Eric :-)

BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

My neighbor - a retired engineer - was building a compost bin this weekend. Talk about using a sledge hammer to swat a fly...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Bear, in the past for similar large cut off projects, I have used hardened file type trim dies only using a band saw instead of a file. I also have used a miniture tubing cutter over a mandrel turning the case by hand or in a drill. This is way too much to be removed by an ordinary bench top case trimmer, even the power driven type will make lots of chips.

The lathe is a wonderful tool.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Hey, if I had a lathe or mill and the skills to use it there would be endless projects! I'm more than a little envious.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Eric-WD
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Eric-WD »

[quote="BlauBear"]Hey, if I had a lathe or mill and the skills to use it there would be endless projects! I'm more than a little envious.[/quote]

Me too

In fact I have thought of geting one of these just so I can use it to learn on.

http://www.micromark.com/RS/SR/Product/82710_R.jpg

BTW, if you havent looked at there website its full of things you didnt know you needed untill you see them

Eric
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Kitty and I have discussed getting one for the kitty Cave, but then we'd never get rid of Bob...
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BlauBear wrote:Kitty and I have discussed getting one for the kitty Cave, but then we'd never get rid of Bob...
Packing now.... :wink:

BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob259 wrote:
BlauBear wrote:Kitty and I have discussed getting one for the kitty Cave, but then we'd never get rid of Bob...
Packing now.... :wink:
Blue skies and 56 today Bob - predicted 65 for tomorrow... :D