Which Rem 700 model to choose?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Which Rem 700 model to choose?

Post by Jetmugg »

I have to admit that I've got a case of HP Silo fever. I'm afraid that the only cure may be to "get in the game". I've been shooting SB silhouette for 3 years or so, and I think I'm ready to try HP as well.

I was just at Remington's website, looking for an appropriate Model 700 in .260, but I'm having a tough time finding the caliber offerings for the various models. A nice big spreadsheet style chart would be handy.

I was also thinking of a Savage, but in my heart would prefer a Rem 700.

If you were going to buy a new-in-the-box HP silhouette rifle, what would it be? I figure that I won't go wrong buying a Remington 700 in .260, but which specific model makes for the best silhouette rifle?

Opinions are appreciated.

SteveM.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Remington 700 as you can always use that action if you go to a different caliber or decide to have a custom rifle built.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Rem 700

Post by Jetmugg »

I agree that a Rem 700 is my preferred choice. What I'm really trying to ask is which specific model within the Rem 700 lineup makes for the best out-of-the box Silhouette rifle. I got a bit confused by the various model designations offered by Remington, and I couldn't tell which ones are offered in .260.

Thanks,

SteveM.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

The CDL Ltd. is the only M700 currently offered in .260 Rem. Remington used to have other models, but due to it's hard to believe un popularity by hunters and shooters, they only offer this model now.
mav
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mav »

Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Couldn't help but notice the rather LARGE selection of 7-08 models.................... :D

Another consideration is to have one built in .260 on a 700 action. Glad to hear your getting a little sick with the "fever". There is no known cure as of yet.

Here is a recent thread on this subject:

http://www.steelchickens.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Best bang for the buck I've seen lately (wish I had the scratch to pick it up).........
http://www.steelchickens.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=2474
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
McManatee
B Poster
B Poster

Post by McManatee »

It is hard to beat the 7mm-08Rem.I will be shooting one this weekend in Zwolli,LA at one of the finest shoots in the country.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Please keep in mind that 1.5 minutes from a Rem is their spec now days. OK for the average deer hunter but sucks for us.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Savage?

Post by Jetmugg »

The factory Remington offering isn't particularly appealing for its $900 or so price tag, based on reports I've read about the CDL models.

How about a Savage in 7-08? I couldn't find any factory offerings from Savage in 260 Rem, but the 7-08 seems popular as well. I guess the bonus with a Savage would be that do-it-yourself replacement barrels are pretty readily available, and don't cost an arm and a leg.

SteveM.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Savages are heavy.......

With the $900 tag on the new Remmy's, I'd keep my eye open for a good deal on a used rifle.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E