remington 7 1/2 small rifle br primers

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
wasa43
B Poster
B Poster

Primer seating depth?

Post by wasa43 »

Kyler:

It just occurred to me that misfires can be caused if the primer is not seated fully in the case. In that case (pun intended) the energy from the fireing pin is partly used to finish seating the primer, and there is less energy to crush the priming compound.

How are you seating your primers? If you run your fingers over the case head, you should feel a depression in the center of the case, and the primer should be below the case head.

Just something to think about.

Chris C
Chris C
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

chris:

yes you are right i forgot about that, im pretty sure im not seating the primers all the way against the flash hole, but they are seated underneath level of the case head, and measuring them with calipers....

the primers are seated .004 under the level of the case head, and a fired round the primer is flush, hmmmm so i guess there is no way to tell if the firing pin is seating them deeper, because in my case(s) pressure is pushing them back out, but not flattening them....
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?