remington 7 1/2 small rifle br primers

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

remington 7 1/2 small rifle br primers

Post by deadeyeky »

has anybody had any problems with these? yesterday i had 2 misfires, real good firing pin strikes and i dropped it 2 times on each round......

so after about 2000 primers ive had 5 misfires, no possibility of moisture intrusion, although they may have gotten hot in my garage, only about 95 degrees tho, ne thoughts?
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
stronghold
Unclassified Poster

rem 7 1/2 br small primers

Post by stronghold »

I have had one miss fire per 400 rounds in my 6.5 br
wasa43
B Poster
B Poster

Federal primers!

Post by wasa43 »

Kyler:

I use only Federal primers, and even after the buyout by CCI, never had a single problem. In default of Federal, Winchesters are also trouble free in my experience.

Chris C
Chris C
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

So far no problems with my CCI BR4 primers
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

well the remington primers are a bit cheaper, i always used to shoot CCI BR4's, never had one problem, never tried federal cuz evrywhere i look they are always on back order...., i use the winchester magnum primers in the ram load of our .260, and my 7mm WSM, my dads 300 RUM, and 7mm mag, those are really good quality primers also, well i dnt really mind pullin a few bullets and punchin in a new primer jus to save money,

i was just wondering if i happened to buy a bad lot,.....

chris: sry but were not gonna make it up on saturday, we gonna see you at state HP?
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
DanDeMan
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DanDeMan »

Saving money on primers is about the ultimate in false economy. When it cost major $$$ to just put gas in your car to go to a match, saving pennies on primers that misfire is way, way foolish :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've shot 100's of thousands of Federal primers with zero problems so far, knock on wood.
Cheers,

Dan Theodore
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

I use federal primers also and have the same problem that most people have, the stores are always out. Whenever I happen upon a box or a case I purchase it even if I dont need it right now because who know's when the'll get some more in. Which reminds me I was at sportsmans "whorehouse" and found a case of fedaral large rifle match primers and hid them behind all the other boxes, I need to go back at see if there still there :lol: I think there holding out and only putting one case on the shelve at a time because I'll go back 3 or four days later and there'll be another case on the shelve and I know they don't order and get them in that fast if every body else is waiting 6 to 7 months for theres.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I've used Federal for my handgun loads, but still like CCI's over them for the rifle. I too had the same problem finding the Federal match primers.

Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I have been using CCI everything since day one. Never had one fail to do its job.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I was too Bob, till years ago you couldn't get CCI's, so I switched to the Federal's, now you can't get them. I think it's a plot :wink:

Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Yep, I remember that primer shortage back about a dozen or so years ago. The feds were talking about putting markers in the compound or some such crap. I helped create that shortage. I went out and bought all I could afford at the time.

I remember now. They were talking about making the compound having a short shelf life. They scrapped that plan for too many liability concerns.

What ever the rumor was , it led to panic buying. Funny....all that I bought did not last very long anyway.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

DanDeMan wrote:Saving money on primers is about the ultimate in false economy. When it cost major $$$ to just put gas in your car to go to a match, saving pennies on primers that misfire is way, way foolish :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've shot 100's of thousands of Federal primers with zero problems so far, knock on wood.
well luckily we live within 5 mins of the range, and i save about uhhhhh almost $20 on a box of 1000 rimers,

the remy's are about $26 on midway
and cci br 4s are about $43 on midway
Last edited by deadeyeky on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Dead Eye...No offense young fella, but you might be well advised to follow the advise that Dan Theodore just gave you. On his own, He has developed more cartridges / reamers for gunsmiths like myself which were specifically designed for this sport than all of the years you have been alive.

Just some freindly advice...We all appreciate your input, but just sit back and research who the great ones are in this sport before you claim to know it all...

Marvin Pearson
Precision Target Sports, Inc.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Hello Kyler, first let me congratulate you for your rapid progress and your promotion to Master in Smallbore.

I would like to share with you my views on what we chose to use for shooting HP silhouette. Its not Bench Rest that is for sure and the shooter is going to make all the difference but you already know that.

Regarding primers, I like Remington primers and have used them for over 30 years. I also like Federal match primers but do not use them exclusively. I also like Winchester and CCI primers and basically try to match brass with primers because some fit tighter than others in the primer pockets.

In the 6.5 Viking (read 6.5 TKS improved) I use Federal or Winchester for short range to turkeys and Remington primers for rams, by the way this was Dan's recommendation to me a few years back and I have continued to do so. Every now and then I've had a few miss fires with them but nothing out of the ordinary. I have also had primers leek gases from pin hole punctures.

I have talked to people that are into varmint shooting that are shooting the 6.5X47 and they tell me the CCI magnum small primers are the ticket for them so I will be giving them a try very soon.

Other than that I do not mind interchanging Federal, Remington, Winchester or CCI on my loads depending on the brass that I am using.
For HP Silhouette I use Federal/Remington, Lapua brass and bullets.

For Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette in my 30-30 I use Varget Winchester brass and primers, in my 25-20 I use Remington/Winchester brass/primers and Hodgon/IMR 4198 powder.

My advice to you is use what ever you feel comfortable with but I do not think the primers are going to make much difference in the scores you get.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

tony,

thank you

and yes i agree this is not benchrest, and when i did the switch between CCI and 7 1/2's there was no change at all, another reason for the switch was the recent unavailability status of the CCI's, and my dad wanted the switch,

i have only had about 5 misfires out of 2000 rounds, my dad uses it in his 7mm BR and has had only 2 misfires out of about 5000 rds, and because using different primers shouldnt make a big enough difference to even cost me a single animal in a whole year of shooting, i wasnt concerned at all about a switch,

again like i sed before i was only wondering if i happend to get a bad lot

Marvin,

i try the best i can to take advice from as many people willing to give it, its people like Dan, Mark Pharr, Evelio, yourself and countless others who have made this sport what it is, and i am in awe of what all you guys have accomplished.

and one day i might be able to claim to know it all after i have learned how to do all of the quality work you guys do so well, hmmmm, hopefully one day, but if not, thats alright, at least i can say that i have seen alot of the aboved mentioned names work,