6.5 swiss or 7x57

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

6.5 swiss or 7x57

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Hi: Found a barrel maker who is looking into if a T/C carbine is safe enough for these cartridges. As I will only have one built at this time, I would like your opinion about which caliber you would choose and what twist and length would be best. Thanx Mike
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

6.5 Swede's and 7x57 are pretty similar to .308 Win pressures, etc...
I would suspect if your Carbine is rated for .308 or .30-06 rounds, these two would be easy enough to support.
ImageImage
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Not so fast, guys. The original TC Contender frame is NOT rated to handle the pressures generated by the above mentioned cartridges. Only the Encore or G2 frame and barrels can handle these pressures safely. The larger head diameter of these cases is what determines how much of the pressure thrust is put against the breech face of the frame. The 7-30 Waters is about the maximum pressure that this action can handle . Even though the .223 has higher pressures, it has a smaller head diameter and there fore less pressure stresses put against the breech face.

I am a recovered Contender - holic and am well aware of it's limits.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Bob: Your response is exactly the same as that of the barrel makers. I mentioned the standard working pressure for both cartridges is 46,000 c.u.p. and he questioned if the barrel infact had enough "meat" around it to accomodate the case head for that pressure. He said to call later in the week so he could confer first with who I believe is the barrel blank supplier. I thought it would be nice to step up a little from the 7-30 Waters cartridge.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I concur with Bob. You can't be using a plain-jane Contender frame for anything above .30-30/7-30 Waters...

I'm assuming your Carbine frame is a heavier Encore/G2 derivative.
ImageImage
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

How about a 6.5-30? Ought to be very close to a 6.5x47 or my own 260 Bobcat. A 7-30 ought to be close to a 7BR. Those ought to do well for silhouette. Just a thought.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

There are several custom TC barrel makers out there. Dennis Bellm out of Utah territory, Bullberry, JD Jones's company, etc. Check their websites for a listing of chamberings available.

Now might be a good time to step up to a good bolt gun in one of the cartridges you are thinking about.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

The 7X57 is an intriguing cartridge...I like the 7mm bullet, but am not fond of the long action....In a modern rifle in the hands of a competent reloader it looks like you might be able to load for just about any North American game except the big bears, and maybe with the right bullet you could be okay there, too.....I know that Karamojo Bell shot a lot of elephants with it.....Anybody out there a 7X57 fan??

BTW one of the guys from Missouri (Woody, the last name escapes me at the moment) shot next to me at the Nationals this year. He had necked up a 6.5X47 Lapua to a 7mm...Seemed to be enjoying some success with it

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Kitty......where have you been? I just retired (temporarily) my older Ruger M77 in 7x57 after 4700 rds. It is a great cartridge , indeed. Shot several medium sized critters with it. The vast majority of shots were fired on steel critters, though. Pulled the Leupold off it recently and put it on another 7-08 Classic 700. Still not sure if I will rebarrel the 77 or sell as is.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Better re-barrel it....something that has carried you that far deserves a permanent home in the gun safe...When I was a kid surplus 98 mausers in 7X57 were as common among my buddies as the old break action single shot full choke "long tom" shotguns we hunted with....That was the hunting rifle of choice, with the occasional 8mm Mauser or .303 British thrown in, not because they were better than anything else, but they were cheap....We really thought we had something with those old war horses...We killed a lot of deer and carried them many a mile back then...Wish I still had that old .303 SMLE with the broken rear sight and could make one more day long walk through the deer woods with it...But it's long gone, and the woods where we hunted is now a several housing developments....Guess it's true you never realize what you have until it's gone..

Kitty
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

"Guess it's true you never realize what you have until it's gone.."

John

I'm not sure are we talking guns or brain cells?

Just one more month before MidSouth!

Paul
Paul Freeman
Alvin, Tx
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Both, I think....wait, I don't remember :)...Be good to see you guys again, missed you at the Nationals.

Kitty
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

:cry: Another darn match I'm gonna miss....

Wish I could win the lotto, quit work and go to all these fun matches.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Bob,
Just work for the state then you have plenty of leave, just no money...but then who needs money?

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Bob,
Just work for the state then you have plenty of leave, just no money...but then who needs money?

Innocent
LOL... I have no money now, what little I had I gave to Evelio for 'Bling' and it's all Kitty's fault :wink: (At least thats what I tell the wife and she believes. I'm sure Kitty tells Doris I'm to blame for his Bling too. It's an evil plot, but it works :twisted: )
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)