steyr .260

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

steyr .260

Post by deadeyeky »

Who out there shoots a steyr 260 for silhouettes,
me and my dad shoot one and we would like to shoot it in hunter class, but its 2 ounces over the hunter limit (we shoot it in hunter anyways) and with the CA state highpower match comin up soon i would like to know what rings bases/scope u all use that allows you to make it into the hunter class,

on our rifle we took the sling studs off, has leupold rings and a weaver t-24 sittin on top, hopefully a switch of rings will take the 2 oz. out
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
drover
B Poster
B Poster

Post by drover »

If you can find a Weaver style base for your Steyr you can use the Leupold Rifleman rings, they are a lightweight aluminum ring that fits a Weaver style base, using them instead of the Leupold steel rings you should easily drop the 2 ozs.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

ok, i take a look at those, ted may let us borrow a set of kelby, kolby, kilby, (idk i forgot the name) aluminum rings and base for a 700 action, just to see if that type of setup will shave the ounces, im sure the leupold rifleman rings will be less expensive than the other one listed above
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

I had the same gun a couple of years ago and had the same problem.

After firelapping and bedding it, it shot pretty well. However it gained about 2 oz after bedding and with the stock being hollow there was no where to take the weight off. I must admit I had a variable scope that might have solved the problem by changing it but to be honest, I had screwed around with it all I was going to.

Bought a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 Swedish and have enjoyed the gun for the past 3 years and 3500 +/- rounds. Sub minute out of the box with both 107 and 140 MK, not that that helps. Group size may be impressive but I still say that at my skill level, a good flyer can be an asset from time to time.

I am not saying that I had any problem with the Steyer. Good quality but needed the firelapping. Barrel was rougher than a cob. I simply got tired of messing with it.

Gator
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

If we're talking about the ProHunter, remove the bulky recoil pad and replace it with shoe foam. Makes a much better buttplate anyway.
public safety equipment
B Poster
B Poster

Post by public safety equipment »

[quote="Gator"]I had the same gun a couple of years ago and had the same problem.

I am not saying that I had any problem with the Steyer. Good quality but needed the firelapping. Barrel was rougher than a cob. I simply got tired of messing with it.

Gator[/quote]

thats pretty ODD for a cold hammer forged barrel. in fact i dont know why the firelapping was needed. I have owned, literally, dozens of steyrs and have yet to own one that wasnt a shooter. I have a little 308 carbine now that shoots like a dream. in fact the last time i benched it i pulled a .433 5 shot group at 100 using hornady soft points.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

well the base change fixed the problem, we bought the rings and the base for a 700 from ted may, and had a local machinist modify the base so it will fit the steyr's receiver....

ajj, yes its a prohunter, luckily we didnt hafta go that far.....

i dont think our rifle was firelapped, but the trigger was worked on, it shoots great, and shoots about .75 MOA at 1000 yards with 130gr smk's....