5 RAMS IN A ROW!!!!

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Sounds like real fun, do they allow harleys on the track :lol: I would com out and do it if they rented some bikes for the crusier guys to come see what a crotch rocket feels like on the track. I love watching moto gp and the like, those guys are true "racecar" drivers as I call them. You dont see nascar guys throwing the car sideways when the go into corners except when the crash, much respect to the race guys.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Barrel heat mirage in the way??? Where is this magical place that does not have any wind to do the mirage removal for you? :lol: A heat sheild or a tube might be legal on a heavy gun if within the weight limit, but not a hunter. I am envious of your conditions. No....jealous. I am using Leupolds on my rifles. A pair of BR 24x's , 6.5-20x's and a 8.5-25x. I have used 36x in the past, too much for me and our conditions out here.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

daisy wrote:Well done

I'd crack a fat if I got 5 rams.
I've been shooting HP for 18 months and my best score has been 14. It's still fun.

Daisy
Me too! I've been at it about the same length of time, and I thought I was crappy having a 18 as my personal best!
But its fun!!
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

shakes wrote:Sounds like real fun, do they allow harleys on the track :lol: I would com out and do it if they rented some bikes for the crusier guys to come see what a crotch rocket feels like on the track. I love watching moto gp and the like, those guys are true "racecar" drivers as I call them. You dont see nascar guys throwing the car sideways when the go into corners except when the crash, much respect to the race guys.
I don't think a Harley would be allowed, unless it's a half-ass pseudo-Harley with a Buell sticker on it. My father-in-law's going to see if they'll let him ride his 2007 Bonneville at a track day. Even with the performance package on it, I don't think it'll make the cut. You never know, though. Last time I was there as a safety worker for one of the corners, they had an old cafe racer type and a few supermotos out on the track. I don't know of anyone that rents crotch rockets for riding at the track. I wouldn't think anyone would be able to afford insurance running a business that did. I'd be scared to ride a bike that I wasn't accustomed to on the track, trying to push those corners hard. I'm not exactly completely comfortable with my skill with my current bike and I've put over 5k miles on it since October.

Yeah, I never have really like Nascar and I grew up 20 miles from Talladega Speedway in AL. Anyone can go fast and turn left. I really like all the MotoGP and Formula 1 races, though. It's takes guts, or a total lack of any sense of self-preservation, to throw it into a corner and break the back end loose to powerslide around a corner at 130+ mph. The MotoGP guys do it at a couple tracks at 200+ with the rear tires spinning 230+ mph. :shock:

I do want to learn from real racers at the track about how to take corners faster, but I'm pretty excited to see what my bike will do down that long front straight at Pacific. I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't hit at least 130 or 140. 8)
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Awww, you may be right. Shakes and I are built a little on the scrawny-side and center-fires tend to give us flinches and bruises... Razz
Just bulk up....see how little recoil moves a full sized guy???? Click on the pic for the video.

How about that spotter!!...She's my next project.

Kitty

Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Spotter in training, and a might good one I might add :wink: You lose anymore weight and you won't be able to say that, or did you photo edit the picture :-)
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Kitty what the hell were you shooting? From the video it look like a 221 fireball :lol: You are right maybe Jason and i do need to bulk up.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Naw, it's all there........Just wrapped a little tighter....

Kitty
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jneihouse wrote:Naw, it's all there........Just wrapped a little tighter....

Kitty
:lol: Where's that 4" tube when you need it :shock: :wink:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Wow, I didn't even see the first shot go because I was watching to see how much the recoil moved you. It didn't. I think my 22 mag that I use in pistol cartridge cowboy matches moves me more than that. I know my very wimpy chicken loads in the 30-30 do. :)
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

It's a 6.5X47Lapua that Evelio McDonald built for me on a Remington 700 action....Pharr RTS stock, Krieger barrel just under 9 1/2 pounds with scope...I believe that I'm shooting at chickens or pigs, so the load is 36 grains of Varget with a 107 gr SMK...Ram load is a 142 gr SMK, a little stouter, but still very pleasant.....When developing loads for Kolby's 260 I shot mine and his back to back with very comparable (bullet weight and muzzle velocity wise) and the 260 recoiled noticeably more.....BTW the video was shot at the Nationals at Ridgeway.

Kitty
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Laughing Where's that 4" tube when you need it Shocked Wink
Actually had the bottom strap on the vest undone so there would be no question of cheating with a too tight vest.....Don't think it would help me anyway :lol:

Sure see a lot of skinny guys strapped up tight in their vests...Never saw the 4" pipe invoked though, so I guess no one complained.......Was some talk in the competitors meeting about some of the Cowboy lever Action guys wearing vests that were not within the "spirit of the rules".....Lots of rules...lots of rules....

Kitty
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

A Remington .260 moves me about that much, and John insists the 6.5x47 has even less recoil so it has to be something akin to a .22 Stinger. Watch the clip closely and you can see the rifle move but then all of the recoil dissipates in his shooting jacket and shoulder. Remember too that John did some power lifting in High School and still has a lot of shoulder mass to absorb recoil.

Before now most of my high power experience involved an M14 with some M16, and even the .260 is much less than either of those. You don't have to be sore when the match is over.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

I was watching to see how much the recoil moved you. It didn't.
Of course you will note that I'm not built to be easily moved :lol:

Oddly, this is the same rifle/load combo about which (at Raton last year) Evelio said "Damn Kitty, what choo got in that damn thing? Kicked the chit out of me".......Guess it's all relative.....I don't shoot much high power, only a couple of times a year, so if anyone would be recoil sensitive it should be me. Shot that gun some 300 rounds over the course of the nationals and had not the slightest shoulder or cheek discomfort......So based on that "scientific" approach, I can definitely recommend it as a very mild recoiling cartridge....at least to anyone in the 3 full biscuit size range :lol: Little guys, your mileage may vary...

By the way Jason, you have fun at the track this weekend, but be safe. Too few good guys in this sport to lose one on the racetrack.

Kitty
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

jneihouse wrote:By the way Jason, you have fun at the track this weekend, but be safe. Too few good guys in this sport to lose one on the racetrack.
Will do. I have every intention of watching my little kids grow up. One of the guys I like to watch in Superbike racing went down a couple days ago on the track and won't ever be getting up again. His name was Craig Jones, and he was just 23.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05082008/ ... -2008.html

Here's the video of the crash. There are worse-looking crashes happening all the time and motorcycle gear is wonderfully protective now compared to even a few years ago, but it only takes a split second to be over for anyone on the track and it doesn't even have to be your fault. Just a warning, though, this video is right on the accident and shows someone getting fatally injured. It scares the crap out of me, but maybe that's because it hits so close to home.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=084_1217848178

Imagine watching a video of someone getting killed in an accident on the firing line of a silhouette match. That's about how much that video gets to me.