Share your load!!!

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Share your load!!!

Post by shakes »

I've looked back through the post and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Anybody have any loads using 107 sierra mk and h4350 powder for C P T and 140 sierra mk same powder for rams? I've read the other posts and the closest I can come up with a good loas just from reading would be 35 to 37grs for CPT and 38 to 40grs for rams. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt
coldbeerchief
B Poster
B Poster

Post by coldbeerchief »

what caliber?
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Mr. Matt...Ugly Betty means nothing....It was my mom's name....Take the action screws out from the bottom side, take the receiver out of the stock..and look inside that rifle and you'll in fact see that the inside of this rifle does indeed look way better than the outside.

I take a great deal of pride on how the bedding of a rifle looks...No one can see it, but it is the heart and soul of any custom rifle that I put together....Iffin' it's gonna shoot good, the male mating parts on top have to be a good fit with the reciprical parts down under..

As far as loading info with the powder you have chosen, my advice, return said 4350 powder and get some Varget for the 107 Sierras for CPT's and some RL-19 for the 140 / 141 grain class projos you will be using for Ramlets. It's what all of the pros in Washington State use. For what that is worth....

Mr. Matt, I find it interesting though that so many of the posters here are so quick to chime in about other semi custom rifles they have had built in different parts of our great nation, but the majority of these guys in this chicken house absolutely seems to crawl under the sheets and clam up when one of my rifles comes up in a discussion...Just goes with the territory I guess because the Master Class guys who are my bread and butter have chosen not to chime in here all to often.

Good luck to you young man...You have yourself a really nice rifle. As always, I put my heart and soul into that build....Mr. Marv
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Mr. Marvin..... no offense taken by the name Ugly Betty, I kind of like it. I was just refering to the color of the stock, not my first choice. I'll have to weigh her and see if theres room for a coat or two of paint. As far as your work goes Marvin I wouldnt take my rifles to anybody else....YOU ARE THE MAN. Thanks for the advice on the loads, I only got a pound of the 4350 so I'll see how it works, if no good I'll get some powder from Steve.

.260 caliber :D
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

shakes, in the .260 I like to use 33 gr of VV 133 or Benchmark with a 123 Lapua and if you already have H4350 41gr with a 139-140-142 or 144 bullets and in the right brass (read Lapua) is a deadly combination on rams. Agustin and I used the first load I gave you on three distances this year at Ridgway.

Other good loads if you like Varget and Sierra bullets are 37 gr of Varget with a 107 Sierra and 37.5 of Varget with a 142gr. bullet (Agustin Sanchez used those loads on one of Marvin's rifles to win several National Hunting rifle titles.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

WOW..... went over to the co-workers neighbors to watch and learn how to reload. I"M HOOKED.. Its fun as F@#$. I'm glad I went and watch first and didn't buy any of the equipment yet, now I know what I need and don't need. I'm definatley going to get on of those automatic powder dispenser scale combos, those thing are worth every penny. I had such a good time reloading I might not even fire the first round I loaded, may just keep on the trophy shell as a reminder. Buy the way thanks for all the info on loads guys, much appreciated. Matt
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

don't go buying anything until you have watched somebody working their dillon.
smallbore std/htr - master
highpower std/htr - master
shooting rifle silhouettes since 1982
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Dillon's.... arent those progressive loaders? I've seen them operated before and I kind of like the simplicty of the single stage....its kind of relaxing and takes the stress away, atleast for me it does. I noticed that while I was reloading that I was concentrated and thinking about what was going on and forgot the shit day I had at work.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

yup. progressive reloader. turn to Mariner's game on the radio and by the 4th inning... 200 rounds reloaded. very easy, reliable and consistent. did the hand loading for a number years and was brought to tears of joy when i started with the dillon.

either way, you are gonna have a good time.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

dave imas wrote:yup. progressive reloader. turn to Mariner's game on the radio and by the 4th inning... 200 rounds reloaded. very easy, reliable and consistent. did the hand loading for a number years and was brought to tears of joy when i started with the dillon.

either way, you are gonna have a good time.
Dave,
Are you just neck sizing in the Dillon? I've also heard that rifle powder doesn't measure good in the Dillon powder measure because of the shape, any problems there? I have two Dillon's now set up for Pistol cartridges but got a T7 for my HP because of what people have said.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

My standard rifle loves Sierra 107's pushed by 36.0 grs. of Varget in Lapua cases with Federal 210 primers.
Joaquin B
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

LOADS AND RIFLE

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

This post is not about loads, but to reply to Mr. Marvins post.
Well Mr. Marvin, I had the opportunity to do some small work on a couple of the rifles you build, nothing major , just cut the barrel, and re-crown to make them balance better for the owners. I have to say that the workmanship is excellent, and the bedding job is beautiful, it could not be done any better, but I do have a question, why do you bed the whole length of the forearm ????
Also, I have been using some of your trigger guards, that I buy from Mark ( don't know why, but I don't think you would sell them to me ) but the reason I use more of the Pharr guards, is the fact that being square rather than round it allows me to set the action somewhat forward to where the back follows the contour of the stock, and then slide the trigger shoe farther back to accomplish the desired LOP without hitting the back radious on the guard.
Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I admire your work, regardless of what part of the States you reside.
Evelio.
Evelio
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

i'm using vihtavouri n135 for the short animals and n150 for rams. no problems metering. i check the loads every now and again and have found them to be extremely consistent charges. I'm full length sizing with Redding Competition dies.
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Mr. E. Mc'D...Why in the world would you think I would not sell my precision machined parts to you or anyone else ? Hey, that's how I make my Rum & Tequilla muny...You of all people should know that a few mojitos in the late afternoon makes the world a better place...right ?

As for bedding the stocks full length with Marine Tex and then machining the stock forend out, it just boils down to what I do to make my customers happy...some guys like to have the barrel channel opened up to add or subtract weight here and there to alter the balance of the piece as they get used to the feel of a new custom rifle..

Besides, it just looks way more professional when the customer pulls the action out of the stock to clean it after shooting like I always advise them to do....Yeah, it costs me more muny for the bedding materials and the extra maching time to do this, but that's why I charge a small amount of dinero more than you do. By just bedding in around the recoil lug area a little bit, and not using precision made aluminum pillars front and rear, is not how I chose to deliver a full blown custom rifle...If a guy is going to spend two grand on a rifle, and then have to go buy a scope to put on top, he should be getting the best a guy can offer...No?

Now, how about if I sell you some machined parts for your next custom rifle?....M.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

RIFLE BUILD

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Mr. Marvin
I am not really cracy about Rum or Tequila, I really like good old straight Kentucky bourbon or good old malt Scotch, and of course a couple of Mojitos about 2 in the afternoon by the pool while cooling off is pretty much a tradition ( normal temp. here now is about 98 by 10 am and about 100 to 102 till about 6pm ) no air condition on my shop, just a couple of big fans, I work in shorts, and go jump in the pool every couple of hours.
As far as bedding stocks, I use two 1/2" dia. machined aluminum pillars, and bed the whole action 100% and about 1" of the barrel at the receiver intersection, recoil lug is also bedded 100% of course. My biggest let down is trying to cover, and match the finish in the outside machined areas ( bolt clearance slot, and safety area in 1712 actions )
I will be ordering some bottom metal, and trigger shoes from you in the future, maybe I can save some " muny "
By the way I am not to concerned about making "dinero" since I am supposed to be retired. As I told you a couple of years ago, I was a master machinist when I retired, and build guns for myself and a few friends for the last 30 years. After I retired, I build a gun for myself on a Nessika stock, and then a friend ask me to build one for him, and all of a sudden, I am practically working damm near full time again.
The beauty of it all, is that I love it, and don't have anybody to answer to except the customer, I am pretty sure you feel the same way.
Again Marvin, I don't do this for the "dinero" I do it to keep me busy, and yes, to pay for my expenses while shooting silhouettes, that is one of the reasons I don't charge as much as others.
Man I think is time for a Scotch, I am a two fingers typer, and they are tired.
Have a good one.
Evelio.
Evelio