Flinch!

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Flinch!

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I'm only a mediocre high power shooter at best, but my score would be 25% higher if I didn't develop a "flinch" while anticipating recoil or what Dennis M. of the Northwest calls, "helping shoulder." I shoot smallbore too, and it's less pronounced there..... I shoot a custom barrel 260 Hunter class rifle, and I've thought of going to a lighter recoiling caliber, such as a 6BR, in a standard gun, but I don't have the shot control to make sure I hit things where they need to be hit in order for them to fall with itsy bitsy bullets.....

So how does one overcome the dreaded "flinch?" Do any of you have any magic for me, or hints even?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Flinch!

Post by xpilot »

Nobody knows............
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

If you are claiming a flinch in small bore, you are just jerking the trigger. The solution is dry fire, lots of it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

jask wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm If you are claiming a flinch in small bore, you are just jerking the trigger. The solution is dry fire, lots of it.
Thank you..... thought that was part of the solution, and I plan to triple efforts on that score......
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I am the expert in the flinch. The brain interferes with the shot. A friend properly called it 'target avoidance syndrome'. It's like batting and you try to 'think' your way to a homer..it never works and generally produces a slump. Like baseball curing the silhouette slump is a painful process of breaking a really bad habit. Dry firing is the solution and remembering to stay on the rifle at least a two count after the sear lets go. Watching all the while the movement of the crosswire until there is little or no movement when the sear goes. Part two is learning that a center hold is not required...you really can aim at the rump, back etc and those hits will score. But boy bad habits are awfully hard to break especially since I find dry firing really boring :D
jrywho
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jrywho »

Here are a few other items that help overcome flinch. I also have the same problem and have since 1983 when shooting NRA Hunter pistol. I've found getting adequate rest is probably at the top of the list to correct flinch. Use quality ear protection to eliminate as much noise, muzzle blast as possible. Decrease your chicken, pig, turkey loads so they are more manageable. Buy or load some max loads for your cartridge. When you find yourself flinching fire three or four heavy loads. Follow up with your lighter chicken load and you will be amazed how minimal recoil will feel. Follow through and good trigger control become easier. Just a matter of mind conditioning.
Instead of just dry firing make the time productive and shoot an air rifle. Make paper targets of 1/10th scale silhouettes and place at regulation distances. Each shot should be noted and score recorded. Monitor your improvement. Challenge yourself to improve each day.
I've also found that shooting pool improves concentration and patients. It seems to transfer to the shooting sports.
Once again, dry fire that center fire rifle!
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

jrywho wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm Decrease your chicken, pig, turkey loads so they are more manageable.
I do agree with using light loads for chickens, pigs, turkeys.

jrywho wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm Buy or load some max loads for your cartridge. When you find yourself flinching fire three or four heavy loads. Follow up with your lighter chicken load and you will be amazed how minimal recoil will feel. Follow through and good trigger control become easier.
I do not believe that firing the max loads will help your flinching problem. I believe firing the max loads will make the problem worse.

You can always try the ball and dummy excerise.

Make up maybe 5 dummy loads, using only the case and bullet that you are shooting.

DO NOT use any primer or powder in the dummy rounds!

In fact you could drill out the primer pocket, so no primer could ever be seated in the dummy case.

You want only the empty brass case and the bullet.

Seat and crimp the bullet to the same depth as your loaded rounds.

ONLY DO THIS ball and dummy excerise, on a range facing the berm, because you will be shooting some live rounds.

Now have a friend load your rifle with either a live loaded round or a dummy round. You cannot watch them load the rifle. You do not want to see which round is being chambered. Then shoulder the rifle and sight in on your target and break your shot as you normally would. Have your friend watch you break the shot. You should be surprised when the shot goes off. You could even set of a video camera and video the shooting session. Then you can go back and watch it later. I hope this helps. Ken
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

I personally do NOT flinch, I use AGGRESSIVE trigger control! LOL
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

It's a natural reaction to a loud noise in your face and a sharp shove on your shoulder...

Some people have more control then others. I personally build it into my follow through...

YMMV....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

When I started silhouette and used my 30-06, after a 80 shot match me and those shooting on both sides of me had a flinch.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

jrywho wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm <snip Use quality ear protection to eliminate as much noise, muzzle blast as possible..snip>
This (above) helped me far more than anything else I tried. Use a good ear plug and wear a good set of muffs over the plugs. Focus focus focus on the target and watch it fall.

I'm not that good of a shooter but I miss with no flinch....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Merlin wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:41 pm
jrywho wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm <snip Use quality ear protection to eliminate as much noise, muzzle blast as possible..snip>
This (above) helped me far more than anything else I tried. Use a good ear plug and wear a good set of muffs over the plugs. Focus focus focus on the target and watch it fall.

I'm not that good of a shooter but I miss with no flinch....
Ahahahaha! I wish I could get there!~ Thanks, everybody..... I appreciate the feedback. Couple of related questions more: Is the perceived recoil from a 6.5 X 47 very much less that that of a 260 Remington? Or not so much? And in your opinion, who makes the best ear muff out there?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I have a flinch too. Dry firing alot helps. Also during practice I load multiple magazines with a blank (snap cap) in different locations then grab one and shoot. If you flinch its really pronounced when you don't know where the blank is.
Last edited by OldRanger on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you, sir......