Flinch!

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Flinch!

Post by jask »

Install one of these pads on your HP rifle. They are really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pachmayr-Triple ... Sw4CFY77ac
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

I try to remember this: It's going to kick you the same whether you make a good shot or a bad shot. You might as well make a good shot and not embarrass yourself, your mom, etc in front of everybody by flinching and making a bad shot. What are we talking here 10-12ft lb of recoil at most. I'm sure you can handle that. And my late mother used to hate the above reference when I would direct it towards my brother btw LOL! No offense meant towards anyone's mom. I'm extremely pro mom.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

We don't shoot centerfire silhouette. We shoot too many disciplines already. We cannot afford another one.
But remember to decrease perceived recoil, add weight somewhere until the rifle is at the absolute legal maximum.
There is no substitute for mass.
We found out that lead works just as well as all the mercury kick-eeze type gimmicks and a whole lot cheaper.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Small bore practice killed my high power flinch! Over time, firing a lot of .22 rounds allowed my flinch to extinguish, so when I picked up a high power the recoil was a surprise. After awhile, my expectations adjusted and I learned this kind of recoil was a little different from the beating delivered by Marine Corps M14's. Ergonomics on a custom rifle with a scope are very different, and a 260 Remington or 7-08 were more manageable cartridges than a 7.62 NATO.

How do you overcome flinch? I did it with practice and ergonomics.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Phill Smyth
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Phill Smyth »

Buy or borrow a PCP air rifle - or a side lever Fienwerkbau 300s with little no recoil or minimal noise - and practice with that - get a big piece of Cardboard on a sheet of ply and just put a series of 4''- 2'' down to 1" circles with a big dot in the centre or trace a silhouette inside the circles on it and the big dot - and then hold and aim - then close your eyes - picture the target with the large black dot - in your mind and feel the trigger as you hear yourself breath, stop and slowly squeeze it - not pull the trigger - feel it as you slowly feel the trigger brake - do not be to concerned with the point of aim - just have it close so your not off the sheet and doing damage if stuff is close by - it is about the feel of the trigger releasing. Then do it with your eyes open and hold it inside the circles, breathe - focus on the target and the dot or spot you want to hit, breathe, stop, squeeze, you will just hear it brake after the squeeze and see the hole appear as you follow through.

I know what to do - doing it a different thing - LOL. BUT Purposeful ,Precise, Technic, when Practicing makes for better results and enjoyment. when you have your eyes close you hear and feel way more.
Good luck and enjoy.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I think my flinch is from the sudden noise and then it becomes a very bad habbit.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Whenever I practice I bring my .22 and switch guns. It will definitely help fix your flinch. :-?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Phill Smyth
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Phill Smyth »

Question - Do you wear ear -plugs or good quality muffs - in practice try both and attempt to follow through to see the target hit and fall. I am sure you have a top shooter in your club get with them and let them watch and guide you when you are practicing. I find it is often the person beside me that impacts me more than my own discharge.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Not all muffs or plugs are created equal, Be sure you check the DB reduction rsting.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am I think my flinch is from the sudden noise and then it becomes a very bad habbit.
I understand all too well! Have you considered shooting a smaller caliber? I am seriously considering going from .308 on down to a 6.5 or 6.0 mm caliber. I néed to check and see what would be the easiest one to convert to. Dustin's thread several weeks back got me thinking that selecting a caliber that knocks down the chickens, pigs and turkeys reliably and not worrying about rams in the pursuit of a higher score makes sense. Most of my points come from chickens and pigs anyway so why go with a comfortable recoil caliber?
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Good comments all, but I have tried them all and I shoot air rifles almost every day. I don't think there is a cure, for me at least!
Rick
Richard
Longbow
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Longbow »

Dido with Phill. I love mt FWB 300s,been shooting them close to 20 years. I also shot compound bow with a release trigger.Hold till the arrow hits the target.Amazing how these slow moving projectiles will help your flinch, The last thing...shoot..shoot..shoot, dry fire ,dry fire and call your shot.