Scope Base

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Scope Base

Post by dwl »

I need an appropriate scope base for a Remi 700 SA for shooting Silhouette. You might not believe this but two Weaver bases does not a silhouette gun make! Else I will be shooting like the Hunchback of Notredame. (Ooh, I don't think they can even pronounce that in Utah)

Any one know of a source?

Thanks,

dwl
Team Oaf
Shoot Like An Oaf!
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

Sinclair sells Davidson bases for the Kelby rings. These make an awesome setup. The catalog number for bases is #DKB-20 (20 MOA) and the 1" high rings are #KBY for the single screw or #KBY-1 for double screw.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/catalog2.html
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Dave, make sure you know exactly the height of the mounts and rings you need before ordering the expensive ones. Another suggestion is to make an effort next time you go to Pe Ell WA. to talk to Mr. Metalhead and he without a doubt will help you get the best there is.

One of the hardest things when installing a scope is to come up with the right height for mounts and scope rings. Many times I have installed scopes on rifles that seem fine when I put them to the shoulder and then when taken to the range and actually shooting my head seems to not want to stay in the stock because the scope was mounted either too low or too high.

When the right height is found there will be no stress to your position, your cheek weld will remain there but at the same time when holding for lets say more than 15 seconds you head will not move out away from the stock and you will not lose the image of what you are trying to shoot at, that is what happens when the scope is mounted too low. We make an effort to stay low on the stock but after awhile we get tired lift our head and lose the field of view.

The other extreme is to have the scope mounted to high then you will not have good contact with the stock. I see more shooters with higher than needed set ups than the other way around.

One thing you can do is get inexpensive scope rings in different heights like medium, high and also see through scope rings so that you can experiment with them and determine which are the right ones for your rifle.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Tony and Carl;

Thanks for your replies. Tony, the new criteria will be holding the sight picture for 15 seconds or longer. I looked at the Sinclair sight and will give Marv a call. Probably Loren and Ron too.

I will of course keep fussing until I have a set up that works. What fun is shooting if your not working on something. The new high power gun is a 6.5-250. So far I have loaded 107 grain Match Kings in front of 30 to 34 grains of Varget. Groups hit significantly higher and tighter when I got to 32 grains. At 33 grains I had 3 shots within 1 inch, two of which overlapped. I then tried that load on the steel plate on our new 300 yard range, Bingo! Right on. Next, retest loads from 32 to 34 grains and then onto the 142 grain Match Kings.

Tony, thank you for the conversations at Raton. I learned a lot and enjoyed every moment. It's a pleasure to talk to a gentleman. Would you forward my thanks to Agustin for the conversations on Mexican cooking. I haven
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Just an aside, but has anyone else noticeed that the 6.5's like to be pushed hard?????

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Dave, thank you for the kind words. I will make sure that Agustin gets your message. If you send me a PM with an Email address I can forward it to him.

The cartridge you are working with has possibly the best powder capacity for shooting silhouettes. You can probably make cases for it out of 22 250 brass and the 6mmXC brass as well. I used to shoot a 7 IHMSA for a number of years and I made brass for my ram loads out of Rem BR brass with the small primer, my loads with that brass were just as good as any 7-08 loaded hot.

You can probably use the loading data from the 6.5 IHMSA and also the 6.5 X47 although I do not think the brass you are using is as good as the Lapua brass. As an after thought you may be able to use 6.5X47 brass for your ram loads. I imagine about 36 gr of Varget and a heavy 6.5 bullet will do the trick for most rams.

Some of my friends in the Phoenix are are shooting rams with the 123 Lapua bullet but like Kitty suggested you will probably need to push them close to 3000 FPS. I tried them on my 6.5 Viking which is a 6.5 BR improved at a range in Pala, CA and got tremendous accuracy at rams but did not take them down as good as my ram loads using 144 Lapua bullets.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Tony, John:

I don't know what I've notice yet except for the loads I've shot. Ron thought 34 grains of Varget was good with the 107s and maybe 35. He said 33 grains of Varget was max with Sierra 142 gr MatrchKings. I haven't shot those yet so I don't know.

I haven't got any loads for 6.5 or 7 IHMSA in any of my books. In fact it seemed to me that IHMSA info was pretty damn scarce in the publishing world. If you have any would you consider sharing? I should would appreciate it.

I checked the Davidson bases, seems to be base stock with no holes. I can drill them properly but I wondered if tapered bases were already out there for the Rem 700 SA. There are tatical bases available but they seem to be extended forward instead of to the rear where I want to pull the scope back. Anymore suggestions?

dwl
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

dwl wrote:I checked the Davidson bases, seems to be base stock with no holes. I can drill them properly but I wondered if tapered bases were already out there for the Rem 700 SA. There are tatical bases available but they seem to be extended forward instead of to the rear where I want to pull the scope back. Anymore suggestions?

dwl
The Davidson bases are available drilled for the 700. The online catalog shows the ready to mount bases and the 7" block in the same picture. Sinclair does way better on the phone than they do on the web. Give them a call.