How well do commercial ....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

How well do commercial ....

Post by DavidABQ »

I am considering picking up a Voere Cougar rifle to tweak into a silhouette rifle. It is a commercial Mauser 98 action. The one I am looking at is chambered in 30-06. Eventually I would want to rebarrel it to 6.5x55 Swede.

How well does the Mauser 98 action fair in this sport?

Should I instead but an inexpensive Savage or Ruger American rifle on 6.5 Creedmore instead?

I like having a walnut stock like on the Voere instead of a plastic stock.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: How well do commercial ....

Post by OldRanger »

You need a tikka t3x Forest in 6.5x55. Stock they gaurantee 1moa out of the box. Trigger goes down to 2 lbs stock. Everything is smooth. Go look at one, I think you will like it for an out of the box gun. It also has a rollover cheek rest. Oh, and they promise 1moa, mine is more like .5 moa.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I have been shooting a T3 Forest in 6.5 X 55, and I love it. Check out http://eurooptic.com. They have some of these discontinued T3's on sale.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I was really looking to use either a Remington model 700 or Mauser 98 action but that Tikka T3x looks rather nice.

The 1 MOA guarantee is nice but with my wobble of several MOA it doesn't really matter because I shoot so poorly. A good looking rifle is something you can always take out of the firearms security storage containment device and admire regardless of an individual's shooting ability.

Thank you.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The CZ model 557 in 6.5x55 looks good too.

Why suggest the Tikka and not the CZ?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Just from personal experience with the T3.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I also recommend the T3 for a factory hunter.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Mauser actions have much slower lock time than most more modern actions. Mausers are very reliable in all sorts of conditions, but the lock time difference is definitely noticeable in a sport where our wobble patterns are bigger and faster than prone/bench. I'll throw another vote in for the Tikka. The CZ rifles are nice, but I'd take a Tikka due to the proven accuracy and good trigger. Note that I've owned and shot a lot of CZ rifles, but not the new 557 actions with the new bolt design. They could be wonderful, but I wouldn't buy one intending to compete with it until I could try a couple out.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you everyone. I guess I will pass on that Mauser at the LGS.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I spoke with a self-proclaimed expert and he suggested rebarreling and restocking an existing Remington that I already own.

Thank you everyone for steering me clear of that Mauser.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

cslcAl wrote:I have been shooting a T3 Forest in 6.5 X 55, and I love it. Check out http://eurooptic.com. They have some of these discontinued T3's on sale.

Al Foust
Holy cow is that a good deal. $1195 for a synthetic stock model in 6.5x55. I have no need for that what so ever but I'm tempted to get one just as an investment. Thanks for the tip!!!

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Bigfoot, check out this link better price. http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-fores ... tf651.aspx

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

DavidABQ wrote:I spoke with a self-proclaimed expert and he suggested rebarreling and restocking an existing Remington that I already own.
There are many of those on the line each week. Lots of parts to choose from and all of the gunsmiths know how to work them over. I was considering buying a donor action and building one of these because finding aftermarket triggers etc for my tikka ain't easy.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Rem 700 is the small block Chevy of the gun world. Easy to find after market upgrades and somewhat inexpensive too. Ditto on everyone knows how to work them. :-bd. Stay away from lapping the bolt lugs though. Its old school and proven unnecessary.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote:
DavidABQ wrote:I spoke with a self-proclaimed expert and he suggested rebarreling and restocking an existing Remington that I already own.
There are many of those on the line each week. Lots of parts to choose from and all of the gunsmiths know how to work them over. I was considering buying a donor action and building one of these because finding aftermarket triggers etc for my tikka ain't easy.
I am going to ignore everyone and keep shoot it even if it is the wrong caliber according to the local self-proclaimed expert.