What would be the best cartridge/caliber for HP

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

What would be the best cartridge/caliber for HP

Post by Bob259 »

I keep thinking I'd like to try HP but need a rifle as all I have is a 7mm Mag and 30 cal anymore.

So if I was to get a new/used rifle what would be the best all around caliber to look for, or get a used rifle re barreled for HP silhouette. I'm sure there will be many opinions so if you can rationalize you choice that would help.

and Shhhhhh... if the wife even thinks I'm thinking about this or getting another rifle I'll need a place to stay... :lol:
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

my thoughts

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

BOB259...........WHAT IS YOUR .30 CAL? IF NOT A BIG MAGNUM , LOADING DOWN IS POSSIBLE ASSUMING YOU HANDLOAD. MY SELECTION OF HP RIFLES ARE IN 7-08(both heavy and hunter gun) .308, 7X57,& .243(for c-p-t practice only) I HAVE USED A LOADED DOWN .30-06 ALSO IN THE PAST. ANY OF THE MEDIUM SIZE/POWER CARTRIDGES SIMILAR TO THE .308 WIN. FAMILY ARE THE MOST POPULAR IN USE TODAY. FOR A LONG TIME THE .308 WAS THE MOST POPULAR SILHOUETTE ROUND. BUT OVER TIME, PEOPLE WANTED EVEN LESS RECOIL, SO REMINGTON ANSWERED WITH THE 7-08. IT IS STILL THE MOST COMMON ROUND FOUND ON THE FIRING LINE TODAY. ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE ALSO SHOOTING THE .260 REM. ,THE 6.5 X 55 IS ALSO POPULAR. ALL THESE CALIBERS CAN BE FOUND IN NEW AND USED GUNS. IN MY OPINION,YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE 7-08 REM. IT HAS ALL THE QUALITIES NEEDED TO SHOOT SILHOUETTE: MILD RECOIL, LONG BARREL LIFE, EXCELLENT POWDER & BULLET SELECTION, VERY RELIABLE RAM KNOCKDOWN PERFORMANCE.
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

Based on what I just spent on a custom rifle, the best caliber MUST be 6.5x47 Lapua. :) The beauty of this round, IMO, is that a full powder load is just right for knocking over the rams reliably. With the hunting cartdriges you usually have a less than full case (if you don't want more recoil than you have to put up with) which results in less consistant ignition.

The best choice really depends on whether or not you plan to load your own ammo. If not, go with the .308 because there are more load choices available than any other high power round. In the other calibers, the only factory ammo available is hunting loads which will work on your shoulder after you fire 40 or them in a match.

If you want a more standard caliber, the .260, 7-08, or 6.5x55 are the popular choices. The 6.5mm/.260 offers a slightly better choice of high BC bullets than the 7mm. I've shot a 7-08 while waiting for the custom to be finished.
coppertop
A Poster
A Poster

hp caliber

Post by coppertop »

I just started shooting hi power not long ago,and the shooters I compete with use some variation of the .308 cartridge. The 7-08 and the 260 seem to be the best choice whether you reload or not. These both don't have too bad recoil, but still are very effective. welcome to this game, it will grow on you quickly.
Admit it, it's never the guns fault. M Sickel
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

If you are starting from scratch, a 7MM - 08 or a 6.5 bore is the way to go. Guns and reloading components are a bit more common and easier to find in the 7mm-08. Also, for some reason, I can never find a "sale" on 6.5 bullets, but you can always find a deal on 7mm or .30 cal bullets. What's, up with that? (Sorry got sidetracked for a moment.)

If you want to go the 6.5 route, the .260 is the most popular due the availability of lower cost brass. Also, if you want to rebarrel for a hunter gun, the 7mm-08 and the .260 will work in a short action.There are other choices with both pros and cons.

6.5X55 Swede - Will do the job as well as the .260. Brass is about the same price. However, you need a long action if you are going to rebarrel for a hunter gun. If you want to buy a gun in 6.5x55 Swede, a Tikka Hunter would be your best bet. Great accuracy, great trigger from the factory.

6.5 - 284 - I don't think you can use this for Hunter class as it is not a factory loaded round. I could be wrong. A bit more powder capacity than the .260 and the 6.5X55. Does real well on "hard set" rams. Brass is not that common but what is available is pricey. You could make your own from factory .284 winchester brass which is affordable. Just neck it down, trim it and you should be ready to go.

There are other 6.5 rounds out there in use, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Good luck, have fun, be safe. This game is a blast with a lot of nice folks involved.
Silo65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Silo65 »

K Danz

The "chambered in a factory cartridge" requirement was removed with the '06 edition of the rules. I believe the current is 6mm or larger with no belted or magnum cartridges allowed, same as Standard.

Try Powder Valley for a good source on inexpensive bullets. 6.5mm Lapua Scenars are running $209/139's and $203/123's per 1000. With shipping that's less than $0.22/piece. For Lapua they are probabbly the best source for bullets and you don't have to wait for a sale to get a good price. They also have good prices on powder, primers, and brass.

Yea it was your tripod I talked about in the other thread. It's pretty sweet.

Bob259

The above advice was good, especially with regard to whether you will reload or not. No reload or factory gun then the 308 Win is your best choice followed by 6.5x55. Custom gun/rebarrel with reloading I would use 260 Rem, 6.5x47, or 7-08. If you rebarrel you'll want a reamer cut for the long VLDs you'll probably end up using.
steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

K Danz wrote:6.5 - 284 - I don't think you can use this for Hunter class as it is not a factory loaded round. I could be wrong. A bit more powder capacity than the .260 and the 6.5X55. Does real well on "hard set" rams. Brass is not that common but what is available is pricey. You could make your own from factory .284 winchester brass which is affordable. Just neck it down, trim it and you should be ready to go.
I was under the opinion that the 6.5-284 was more of a 1000m target ticket. Shooting at the rate and volume silhouette requires is probably going to make pretty short work of a barrel in this hot cartridge.

I'd stick with the 260 or 7-08 if you are just starting out and have basic reloading stuff. Might even consider a 243 with a fast twist barrel if your local ranges have shortened coarses or rams are soft set to accomodate equally fifi cartridges. :wink: It would be interesting to know how some of the new 120 gr 6mm VLD's perform on rams.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

What Carl said.
It's true that you can't go wrong with 7-08 but I think the 108 Lapua in 6.5 is the ideal short line bullet. 7mm offers a very slight advantage at the ram line, but it's only 10 shots. 6.5 offers a slight advantage for 30 shots. JMHO.