new Lilja barrel....moly bullets?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

new Lilja barrel....moly bullets?

Post by OnaginOffagin »

This has probably been covered in depth already, but I'm too lazy to look......

I'm getting a new Lilja fluted barrel on my Rem 700 real soon....and I noticed on their website that they don't encourage using coated bullets..... I also noted in Montana that "Pete" doesn't use moly-coated bullets. Is it not a good idea to shoot molies in a Lilja barrel? I'm hoping y'all will say it's okay because I'm sitting on about 800 moly-coated Sierra Matchkings..... And I don't know if I can get enough uncoated bullets soon enough for the Nationals....... :| :| :|
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Re: new Lilja barrel....moly bullets?

Post by Emietenkorte »

I have the same barrel you will have minus the flutes and it seems to have no problem with the moly.
Pete
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete »

Hey Mel;
It is usually suggested that you break in a new barrel with "Naked" bullets and maybe shoot one match or the equivalent before switching to moly.
Pete
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thank you both!
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I looked at the Lilja website and could not find the mention of moly that you refer to so I will give you general information.

The 'Moly' that is used on bullets is Molybdenum Disulfide. The last part of the last word is "sulfide" which is sulfur. Sulfur, when combined with water can corrode the steel.

Danzac, which is Titanium Disulfide, also contains sulfur and can do the same thing.

Both are 'salts', a compound of a metal (Molybdenum and Titanium) and Sulfur. Salts attract water. Table salt is Sodium Chloride. The common salt substitute is Potassium Chloride. Still a salt in the chemical sense but it does not contain Sodium which causes people to have higher blood pressure so it is not "Salt" in the common word sense.

Although both Moly and Danzac have been proven to have advantages when used on bullets or in a barrel, most people have moved away from them.

The current 'favorite' bullet/barrel lubricant/barrel protector/coating is Hexagonal boron or HBN. It seems to have all of the advantages of Moly and Danzac but not the potential corrosion problem.

If you use one of these you will notice that the muzzle velocity of your pet load will decrease. This is due to reduced friction between the bullet and barrel which allows the pressure developed by the burning powder to be released more easily. You usually end up adding a bit more powder to recover the muzzle velocity.

Here is a link to an article on Accurate Shooters on bullet/barrel coatings. It is a bit dated but still captures the essential points.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... t-coating/

I plan to use HBN with my new barrel although I am very tempted to have it Melonited.