Jason's "poof!" load

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Jason's "poof!" load

Post by Bigfoot »

Hey guys.

So I was shooting next to the esteemed Jason this last weekend in Pe Ell for our state HP match.

The light conditions were slightly overcast and very humid which gave great visibility to bullets traveling down range.

I took a video at the end of day two as I wanted to document what was happening with these loads. If you look about 2/3rds of the way over to the right after he fires you'll notice a circular "poof!" that looked to be about 50 meters downrange from the muzzle blast. You can see it in the video but it was VERY pronounced in person. He was shooting CFE223 powder in his 206 rem. If you want a copy of the vid msg me and I'll email it to you. For some reason I can't upload a file type .MOV

Anyone know what could cause this phenomenom? I've never seeen anything like it...Mucho gracias!
Res ipsa loquitur
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Jason's "poof!" load

Post by Jerry G »

A 206??????????????????????

High velocity and fast spin can 'poof' a bullet. I have seen it shooting prairie dogs with a thin skinned varmint bullet. He must be shooting some of goo roo's reject bullets. I'll bet that would look great in slo-mo.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Mr.Bigfoot, please forward me this video for my personal review. :-B PM with email sent.

Maybe blast or bullet pressure wave interacting with said high humidity.

:!: BTW...who won the match?
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

PM sent w/email addy
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

This timeless classic produced by our very own jeff59 shows the bullet pressure wave clearly, even in our dry winter air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1kQQPqlVQ
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I never get tired of watching the slo-mo footage of hp animal hits. I have some with the camera about 20 yards from the targets that show the hits real well but not the bullet in flight. :-bd
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

That ram doesn't seem to want to move much..............
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Jerry G wrote:A 206??????????????????????

High velocity and fast spin can 'poof' a bullet. I have seen it shooting prairie dogs with a thin skinned varmint bullet. He must be shooting some of goo roo's reject bullets. I'll bet that would look great in slo-mo.

Yeah. It's the Seattle area code so my typing fingers must have gotten a little dislexic. In the imortal words of Homer Simpson "Doh!"

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Whoa...that little "poof" is something else, I think. Was there a pile of feathers near that spot? :wink: We need more eyes on this video. Can any of you computer nerds figure a way to post it here. Did Jason hit what he was aiming at? :D Every time this little "poof"?
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

xpilot wrote:That ram doesn't seem to want to move much..............
That was Bonner shooting his .260 using Beckleys recommended "magic bullets". :lol:

I viewed that video numerous times. I still think it is compressed moisture being released like that jet plane flying low over moist air near the water surface. The spiraling tail and main burst evaporate quickly. When you freeze the frame at 10.25 seconds you see the entire 2-3 foot long "contrail." This was likely taking place with all shooters but easily seen off from the side. :-B Very cool. 8)

Somebody get this posted.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

For clarification. This wasn't a one time thing. It happened every single shot over 2 days and 160 shots plus practice shots.

It's tough to tell from the vid but that poof looked to be 5+ feet in circumfrence and appeared about 50 yards or so out from the muzzle.

Pretty darn strange. Inserting X-Files music here. Lol!
Res ipsa loquitur
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

My computer savvy wife got er done. :) :ymhug: Takes a few seconds to open.

Jason, are you using ffg or fffg in your .260?

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Bob, any man of your vintage knows that it's technological savvy wife, not computer nerd wife. Geez! Has Mary not taught you anything?????
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The load shot great all weekend, stacking the groups tight out to turkeys with the CPT load using CFE 223 powder. This did not happen with my ram load that uses H4350 powder.