300 BLACKOUT

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
JIM PENDLETON
B Poster
B Poster

300 BLACKOUT

Post by JIM PENDLETON »

I am thinking of building a 300 blackout on a Remington 700. Has anyone tried it? I am looking for a low recoiling round. I only shoot a couple of matches a year. Right now I shoot 30 Cal (30-30, 308, 30-06) using a cast bullet of 170 to 200 grains at 1800 to 2000 FPS. Most of my shooting will be at paper at 100 and 200 meters.

JIM PENDLETON
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 300 BLACKOUT

Post by GregG »

Jim,

I am not expert on the cartridge but I think you would have an extremely hard time getting the round 500 meters very accurately. I believe about 200 and you are done, pretty rainbow. The 300 blackout was created to shoot 220 grain bullets and a can to kill hogs or for entry teams. I built one on an AR platform because the AMU was using a special barrel and were able to make major power factor for 3 gun competitions. I have not tried to duplicate and it is an interesting round but I probably would prefer the 223. I have been interested in a non-223 AR for some time. This one is extremely easy to convert too without new mags or a new bolt.

If you are looking for a softer shooter and accurate, I would look towards 6br, 7br, 30br. In addition there are tons of 6mm variants 6-250, 6xc, 6 dasher, all are extremely accurate and soft to shoot.

All of the above may or may not have enough energy to take rams or take them some percentage. A good set of rams my 6-250 can take 90% with 115g bullets but loaded this way are not too soft.

Greg
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

My buddy got one and he has trouble with rams from the bench. No accuracy out there and not much knock down power.

A 6.5mm something shooting 140 gr or 142 gr at rams only, not much recoil. 107s at the other 3 animals, little recoil. Of course the goo roo would recommend a 7mm 08 which does kick more... :-bd
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Hey Jim. I think folks missed your point of shooting at paper rather than steel in competition.

I had some fun with one of my customers that was an ammunition maker here in WA that was working on the police/swat 300 blackout platform. It was a pretty neat round to shoot but all things being equal it's not really an accurate round from what I saw in their tests. They were pretty happy when they got the load dev to print some 3.5 inch groups off of the bench at 100 yards.

Where the blackout shines is in a subsonic AR platform with a silencer of some kind as a FBI HRT aps where you want take down, quite and limited penetration so as to not hit innocent bystanders and such.

My one tip was to get a 1 in 8 twist barrel as slower twist rates really printed some ugly groups. I would be cool to hear if you can get a load/rifle combo together that will print out at 200. Keep us in the loop!
Res ipsa loquitur
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Yes I did miss the paper. My rifle does shoot much better than the previous post but certainly nothing to brag about. I did see on tv the drop at 200 was something like 24 inches. I have not tried anything past 100.

For pure recoil my gas impengment ar with 55s has less recoil. My gas pistol has more than either.