AR 15 platform

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

AR 15 platform

Post by glen ring »

Do any of you shoot or shoot with someone that competes in High Power rifle silhouette with an Ar-15 rifle ?
Just Be Nice **==
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: AR 15 platform

Post by BCloninger »

I asked the same question a few years ago, and there were two problems with the AR 15. Most clubs ban the use of anything smaller than 6mm, and then there's no good way to get the stock below mid-line on the bolt. I do think it's time to revisit the rules so that an AR 10 could be used, or an AR 15 firing the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, but that's where it is now.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I didn't know the rule about the stock. Can you tell me where to find that ? There are several calibers that would qualify and can be shot from an ar platform.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I found the rule about the bore and stock if that's what you're referring to. A lot of my younger buds shoot an ar more than a bolt gun and would probably try silhouette if they could use their ar based gun.
Just Be Nice **==
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Right, many of the potential shooters we need to recruit cut their teeth on AR's and don't see the point of the "old" rifles.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Glenn, it is in the NRA rule book which you can find on the NRA site. The site isn't very user friendly but the rule book is there somewhere. Seems the chang the site every couple months and it gets harder and harder to find things. But then again, I may be getting old and grouchy.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

http://competitions.nra.org/official-nr ... books.aspx

Page 5- rule 3.1(d)
Page 6- rule 3.1.1(c)
Brd_Hntr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brd_Hntr »

What about rule 3.1.2 which allows high powered semiautomatic military rifles in "as issued" form.

Has 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel been issued for general service anywhere in the world?
Soonlobo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Soonlobo »

Brd_Hntr wrote:What about rule 3.1.2 which allows high powered semiautomatic military rifles in "as issued" form.

Has 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel been issued for general service anywhere in the world?

The Jordanians have adopted the 6.8 SPC II.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010 ... in-jordan/
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I don't think the bore being above the butt applies to military rifles. You can shoot an AR legally in the military category. You could always shoot a 7.62 scar 17, our military uses it. As a matter of fact some weekend I'm going to shoot mine just for grins. Need to work up some numbers/loads first tho.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Shooters, I've shot the semi-auto military matches and also have shot my lever gun at HP matches. All I can say is if you are going to do this you better have damn good eyesight.
We shoot white animals at our range for both SB and HP and if it's a bright sunny day, you can't see the animals without a scope.
Have Fun.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
21step
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 21step »

I shot my M1A yesterday at CSLC. Like Al said we shoot white animals and there was not a cloud in the sky. At the chickens you need to try to get your blade on the animal you can make out then move across to where you think the animal should be and squeeze.

I contemplated opening up to and making an AR class here at CSLC a couple years ago to get more shooters interested but decided not to.

I have nothing against the black guns but I am not sure opening up to all AR style rifles would be smart. We do have some guys that use their ARs to accurately shoot what they are shooting at but the majority of them just want to shoot dirt or bowling pins.

I tell anyone who asks that they can shoot any caliber out of their AR as long as it is 6mm or larger. This holds down the johnny bang bangers and makes it so they need an AR10 style. If you ask 100 AR shooters about their pill size probably 98 would say 5.56mm.

We had guy shoot an AK last year. It was fine, we moved him all the way to the end because his brass went at least 6 benches to the right.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I'm surprised Jason hasn't changed in as he was thinking about starting a match or relay like this up at Machias once things are open for biz again next month.

I'll text him to see if he wants to get his $0.05 in on this.

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

This is high power rifle, shooting at the high power targets 500 meters away. I agree with the "hard to see without a scope" opinion for these. My idea was no magnification optics shooting at the cowboy target distances. :)
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Having shot an M1A and an M1 in the military rifle silhouette class. One uses a 6 o'clock hold....and its tough