Spotting Scope

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I purchased a Konus for 210 and it is very good. As stated above, a really good tri-pod is essential. With a Konus on a Bogan tri-pod, you can trace the bullet going into the rams and see any mirage.

Did innocent start a thread on reading mirage. This would be a great topic for everyone.
tim
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

timfinle, I have not started a thread on mirage yet. I am willing to contribute to this but am dealing with major water leak inside the house (concrete slab) as well as working. I am sure there are several that could do a good job on this subject, my experience comes from an old man that passed away a year ago and his practices were almost total opposite what is currently printed on the subject, but it seemed to work for all those I saw him work with, myself included.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Quonset Hut
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Quonset Hut »

atomicbrh wrote:Another major feature that I considered when purchasing my spotting scopes was eye relief. I want maximum eye relief. The 2007 Nationals at Raton was a perfect example. Safety glasses were required for everyone on the firing line including scorekeepers by the Whittington Center rules not the NRA rules. We use a Kowa 82 Series with a 27 power long eye relief(27 LER) eyepiece. We even have an additional see-through waterproof cover on the eyepiece so that the scope can be used in a driving rain. With this combination we could obey the Whittington Safety glasses rules to the letter and not even notice we had our safety glasses on while spotting. Other folks could not function spotting because they could not see the complete field of view through other spotting scopes and even some Kowas without the correct LER eyepiece.
Was the safety glasses rule listed in the official program or was it a suprise?
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

innocent

Wow, an inside water leak, what a bummer. I hope everything comes out okay for your home and family.
tim
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

The Zeiss, JW is talking about is incredible. You could count ants on leaves with it. :shock: . The Konus is very good, but does not have the same contast as the Zeiss. The Zeiss lets you see every nuance, ripple, or contour in anything that you are looking at through the scope. But, for 210 bucks, the Konus is able to see bullet path, mirage and any marks on a Ram at 500 meters. This is with a Black ram against a back ground of browns and greens..
tim
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Quonset Hut: The Whittington Range Safety Glasses/Hearing protection mandatory rule was in the "big" book the NRA sent to competitors that had signed up. What little time we had to practice in the month before the match, we practiced shooting and spotting with safety glasses. Competitors chipped away a little bit of the safety glasses rules from the officials at a time until only the shooter had to wear them before it was over and many of them were wearing them as little as possible until a line officer would notice. We were prepared for this because a range we shot in our area in the past had fanatical safety glass rules. That range wanted us to wear safety glasses in our vehicle driving down the range road and eat lunch a great distance behind a firing line that had been shut down for lunch with our safety glasses on. The things that always irks me about the safety glass rule is that usually the people making this local range rule wear prescription eyeglasses that do not meet ANSI high velocity projectile protection requirements and do not meet ANSI side protection requirements. Much research(especially by the University of Oklahoma) has been done that most prescription eyeglasses do not offer adequate eye protection and are actually worse than no safety glasses at all because of the shards of glass that will enter the eye with a high velocity impact. Prescription eyeglass wearers almost without exception do not have any sideshields either. Remember we only shot Smallbore at 2007 Raton. I do not know what happened at Highpower and pistol.

Bobby R. Huddleston