More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: alternative powders, 260 Rem.....

Post by Jerry G »

ldholton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:17 am
for .260 RL-17

Not if you work up a hot load at around 50 F and then come down to AZ to shoot in the summer.
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

maybe , but is there a need to run a max load ? not from my rifle
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You will see pressure increases even if you aren't maxed out. Just be aware of it, it may change your sight settings.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Definitely no reason to run a hot load in a 260 Rem, which has more than enough case capacity to drive 140+ grain bullets too quickly unless they are seriously tough like bonded bullets. I usually try to run my CPT loads toward the lower end of the load range if I can get good accuracy, and pushing ram loads too hard just results in bullets blowing up on impact instead of holding together and taking down the rams reliably.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

SteveD wrote:I would expect powders the have been recently introduced to have better support from the manufacturer and therefore better supplies/more available. With that in mind I am looking at the IMR Enduron series of powders, specifically 4166 as a Varget replacement.
SteveD or anyone else,

If anyone has had time to develop some loads for 260 Rem with IMR 4166 yet, I'd appreciate hearing results. I'm down to a couple pounds left of Varget and am intrigued by the promise of IMR 4166 having Varget's temperature insensitivity but also having CFE 223's copper fouling reduction. I dispense all my highpower silhouette loads individually on my RCBS Chargemaster anyway, so I don't really care about how it meters. I have a pound of the IMR 4166 to test with, but I've been working so much lately that there hasn't time for much shooting, much less a lot of small batch loading and testing.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I am most interested in the powder comparison but I will be shooting a 6 or 6.5 BR so the results won't be directly comparable.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I am using IMR 4831 (42.5 gr) to push142 sierra in my 260. I am getting 4 inch groups at the rams but at 1,000 yds I am over 1 minute. Might be the wind, I'm not sure. I don't think 4831 would work in the BR case.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I wouldn't think so Jerry, IMR 4831 is between VV 550 and VV 560 for burn rate. Good medicine for a 260 with a 142, too slow for a BR.
SteveD wrote:Glad to hear about the better availability of VV. I liked 550 and 560 in a 6.5 - 08 AI with Sierra 142s.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

RL17 makes em hum..... :-bd
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer