Where to get a stock.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Where to get a stock.

Post by cslcAl »

MOA, did you look on Gunbroker? I just looked all calibers are listed.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
MOAhunter
Unclassified Poster

Post by MOAhunter »

cslcAl wrote:MOA, did you look on Gunbroker? I just looked all calibers are listed.

Al Foust
I'm North of the US border and our availability is rather limited compared to yours. Lots of of Tikkas in the country just can't find a Forest in 708. I'm in no rush to get that rifle immediately so I've been inquiring with dealers for a special order if I decide to go the Tikka route.
I'm thinking the Tikka would be more economical and satisfactory than the 700 at this point.

Best part about the Tikka forest in that in comes with a better offhand stock and trigger than the 700 and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't believe any model of factory 700 comes with a Monte Carlo stock or a high comb.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Canada oh yea. I shoot with lots of Canadians at Ridgway. I've heard all the problems with getting guns and parts,
As far as the Forest you don't have to preach to me about how nice they are. Remember I bought 3 of them. In fact I'm sort of bear hunting right now, and there is a 6.5 X 55 sitting right next to me in a Forest.
It's too bad they just don't sell that stock. At some point they will show up on eBay.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

I should have warned you about that Tikka addiction Al Foust! Once I had one others followed quickly.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Varn,

Your Tikka addiction must have been contagious. The $150 rebate didn't hurt either.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I am shooting a Tikka now, might have to buy another in a different caliber. So far I've gotten an antelope and a whitetail with it, in addition to shooting it out of the box at silhouette. Apparently I shoot better at furry critters than steel ones, think we can wrap the targets? I'll supply the pelts!

Oh, is it possible to come south like to Montana where I live and import a rifle to CA? Or is it too much paperwork to be worth the hassle?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
mjtripper
Unclassified Poster

Post by mjtripper »

hs precision still makes an anschutz pattern silhouette model for the 700. I just got mine a month or two ago and talked to them on the phone about it several times.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

mjtripper wrote:hs precision still makes an anschutz pattern silhouette model for the 700. I just got mine a month or two ago and talked to them on the phone about it several times.
Is it Hunter style, or Standard?
mjtripper
Unclassified Poster

Post by mjtripper »

Standard
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

mjtripper wrote:Standard

That's what I thought, I have not been able to find a drop-in Hunter stock. Wish McMillan would make their Anschutz type hunter stock for the 700 again.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I am a little confused about the 'Anschutz type hunter stock'.

The Farr or Wooster stock is a hunter style with a very straight pistol grip. They both are far superior to the plastic stock that came with my 1712.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Jerry G wrote:I am a little confused about the 'Anschutz type hunter stock'.

The Farr or Wooster stock is a hunter style with a very straight pistol grip. They both are far superior to the plastic stock that came with my 1712.
Yes Sir, and I have had both you mention. For some dual purpose applications I much prefer McMillan's Anschutz pattern hunter stock, I think they call it the Featherweight. I have one on my squirrel rifle and love it for its purpose, and would equally love to have a .243 Rem 700 in the same stock. Hunt deer in the fall, shoot silhouette in the Summer.
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

I got a very nice one from Numerich's for my 788. $67 unfinished 99% inletted.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Is that a heavy wood stock Steve?
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

It doesn't seem to be. It is a factory replacement blond wood stock with plenty of places to remove wood to lighten it more, Steve