pyrodex

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

pyrodex

Post by glen ring »

I have read many old forums about using Pyrodex in a BPCR rifle. Have any of you tried it? I NEVER believe everything i read posted on the interweb...but I KNOW some of you so if you've used it please tell me about your results.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: pyrodex

Post by BrentD »

Yes.

Not good. Want a mostly unused can of it? Been sitting here for close on 20 yrs now.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Tell me about what you found .
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

The first 4 shots I ever fired in my Sharps went into 4" at 200 yds with barrel sights. After than I had trouble finding the paper and sometimes, the backer board.

I also found I had to clean my barrel twice on Saturday, the same on Sunday, and then once a day until Friday before it would quite rusting. YMMV :)

This is one time that you can take the internet hype to the bank on.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

You have to compress the snot out of the stuff to get anything close to decent accuracy with it, and after cleaning the metal has to be oiled really good to keep from flash rusting afterward.
Stick with blackpowder your rifle will thank you, and you will thank your rifle.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

No experience in BPCR, but I tried it a few times with muzzleloaders in hunting and in a few competitions. My results with Pyrodex were the same as those above, with it seeming much more corrosive than real BP. Unless you just can't get real BP from a quality brand, there's no reason to use Pyrodex. There are some other BP substitutes on the market that did delivery on the promise of accuracy without being corrosive, with 777 being the last one that I used and liked. Even that was a bit harder to ignite consistently, so accuracy would sometimes suffer a bit in anything other than ideal conditions. Real BP is always a bit of a pain to use, but it's consistent in the issues to deal with and most everyone knows how to do it. The substitutes are sometimes all that they're hyped up to be, but not always. I like consistency when it comes to competition, and hunting for that matter.