Is it legal?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Is it legal?

Post by Tancred »

I have had no luck finding a simple wider post to put on my Contender. I'd like to modify my factory front sight to make it wider. Is it legal to do this in NRA rules?

thanks,

Tancred
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Is it legal?

Post by Steve Tapp »

Check out Ken Light Manufacturing. Ken makes an excellant front sight system that bolts on in place of the contenders front sight. The post or blade portion of the sight is adjustable for width. T/C also used to make a silhouette front sight which gave 4 different widths on a rotating blade. Ken has a web page: www.kenlightmfg.com His phone # is on the web page. I've used his front sights on all my metallic sight guns and have asked him to make some for the marlin lever guns but he declined. Good luck with your new sights, Steve
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I know the T/C sights you are talking about. Just missed out on some at Gunbroker a few weeks ago. The Ken Light setup is more than I can spend right now, that's why I was hoping to just widen my front sight. But is it legal for NRA Hunter Pistol?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Tancred wrote:Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I know the T/C sights you are talking about. Just missed out on some at Gunbroker a few weeks ago. The Ken Light setup is more than I can spend right now, that's why I was hoping to just widen my front sight. But is it legal for NRA Hunter Pistol?

Tancred -

You might also checkout www.daisysights.com
He will sell just the hooded front sight which will adjust for width like the Ken Light full length rail setup, and will be lower priced. I have a couple of both setups and prefer the daisysight setup.

Also, I was told by someone that the front sight that daisysights sells is a/k/a the "Bond front sight" and available from other resellers as well. Unfortunately I've not had any luck finding it elsewhere.

my .02,

-Tim
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

(b) Replacement of sights with any sights (including scopes, other optical sights or metallic sights). Scopes
may not be more than 1 ½ inches above the pistol as measured from the top of either the receiver or
barrel to the underside of the scope tube, nor may the scope be offset from the top centerline of the
receiver. Metallic sights that are used in metallic sight competition must be as furnished by a manufacturer
and may not be altered. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be hooded, or if interchangeable, may
use post inserts only. The original sights (front, rear, or both) may be replaced with sights which are
catalog items manufactured to fit the handgun without alteration to the sights, sight assembly or handgun.
Replacement sights may not extend the original sight radius by more than 1 inch as measured from the
apex of the front sight to the apex of the rear sight. Front sights or assemblies shall not extend beyond the
muzzle. The sighting plane may not be higher than 1 inch above the receiver or barrel as measured at the
midpoint of the sighting plane.

nope, cannot be altered, can be changed, just not altered.
dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

Thanks for the information.