Pistol ammo difference?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
JCalhoun
B Poster
B Poster

Pistol ammo difference?

Post by JCalhoun »

Has anyone noticed any significant difference in the performance of rimfire pistol ammo compared to rimfire rifle ammo being shot through a pistol? Standard velocity 40gr target ammo.

My S&W seems to like pistol and rifle ammo equally. Maybe I'm not good enough to tell the difference. :?
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Pistol ammo difference?

Post by pistolero45 »

Several years ago I tested a variety of .22 ammo, both high velocity and standard velocity, in a Ruger MKII with 10 inch barrel. This was done using a Ransom rest and firing at 50 yards.

As with rifles, some cartidges grouped better than others. Also, point of impact would change, even when using ammunitions of similiar listed velocity.

In my particular pistol, the best performing ammo was Lapua Master M at 1/2 inch groups. The worst performing ammo was Winchester T-22 at 1 3/8 inch group.

For both Smallbore and Hunter Silhouette, I used Winchester Powerpoints, which at 50 yards in a Ransom rest shot 7/8 inch groups. This is a fairly hot .22 and clocks at 1212 fps out of my pistol. It does a pretty good job of taking down Hunter pistol rams.
Mark
JCalhoun
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JCalhoun »

Thanks.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

I used Eley target rifle for c-p-t and HV solid for rams in my T/C. Most everybody used what shot good in their gun regardless of what was written on the box.
yulie22
Unclassified Poster

Post by yulie22 »

Howdy, 22 rimfire pistols are fickle. I have undergone substantial testing of silhouette pistols and ammo using a ransom rest over 100m distance. I have found that you need to test out to 100m for true results. Lots of pistol/ammo combinations perform well out to 50m, but then waver and go all over the place after that. One brand of ammo may perform well in one of your pistols, then not in the next. Sometimes even with the same brand of gun! You need to keep testing until you find what works best. Don't assume that so called "pistol" ammo will be best in pistols or that "rifle" ammo won't work well. LaPua ammo technically is rifle ammo, but is awsome in lots of pistols, so is SK rifle match. Hope this helps. Yulie22, :mrgreen:
JCalhoun
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JCalhoun »

My pistol does seem to like the SK rifle ammo.