Choosing a scope

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
BryanBaxter
B Poster
B Poster

Choosing a scope

Post by BryanBaxter »

I need to scope a Ruger 22/45 with an 8" Tactical Solutions upper. I am new to pistol scope use. I have concerns about being able to hold higher magnification scopes steady. For that reason I am thinking a variable so I can dial up the magnification as I get better. The cost of a Leupold or Burris variable is a bit high. Is 4x plenty of magnification? I could maybe afford a Leupold M8 in 4x or a Burris. I am looking for advice or if anyone has a scope they might want to sell.

Bryan
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing."
billdncn
Unclassified Poster

Re: Choosing a scope

Post by billdncn »

Hey Bryan. You must realize you move the same no matter the scope power. You just see it more with higher magnafication. A high powered scope allows you to pick a spot on the animal to aim for.... Aim small, shoot small. A lower setting allows you to see more animals thus less chance of shooting the wrong one. Also you see less of your movement so it doesn't psych you out as much.
I have a 22/45 with a Bushnell red dot that I find fun to shoot SBHP with. I just change my point of hold instead of adjusting it's settings once zeroed. Hope this helps a little. Good luck
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Bryan,
Your liable to see about anything mounted to a HP. One friend of mine used to shoot a Premier Leupold bumped to 40x. I used a 6-24x40 that I settled on 12x. Another friend, who won the Nationals, used a refurbished Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 that he shot at 12x. All these scopes were mounted on T/C Contenders and we all used a "taco" hold. Shooting HP is a lot more forgiving in the scope quality then rifle. You just need to get a scope that has an adjustable objective and be parallax free at 25 yards in case you want to go to an IHMSA shoot. To help with your wobble you need to find your natural point of aim. Good luck.
billdncn
Unclassified Poster

Post by billdncn »

chickenchoker.... I know Mr. Adcock uses old inexpensive Bushnell scopes. Refurbished as a matter of fact ;)
Just shows to go you, it's not so much the equipment huh?

BryanBaxter, shoot whatever you have or can afford. It's all fun
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Aubrey told me he ordered 3. I think he hand picked the best of the bunch so he could have a chance against his son and Bonnie.
evelynz8735
Unclassified Poster

Post by evelynz8735 »

I need to scope a Ruger 22/45 with an 8" Tactical Solutions upper. I am new to pistol scope use. I have concerns about being able to hold higher magnification scopes steady. For that reason I am thinking a variable so I can dial up the magnification as I get better. The cost of a Leupold or Burris variable is a bit high. Is 4x plenty of magnification? I could maybe afford a Leupold M8 in 4x or a Burris. I am looking for advice or if anyone has a scope they might want to sell.