9mm for hunters pistol?

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

9mm for hunters pistol?

Post by silhouette13 »

hi,

i have just started pistol silo. i am shooting sb hunters pistol, i would like to get a centerfire barrel to shoot HP will a 9mm take the rams? i have access to a few K of ammo. so i thought it may be economical . what other suggestions?

dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 9mm for hunters pistol?

Post by Steve Tapp »

silhouette13, I'm sorry that no one has thought enough of your request to respond. So I will give you the benefit of my experience on this subject. Joel Mosher Of L.A.S.C. fame and deticated spotter for Marvin T. when he shoots, uses a 10" oct. T/C for HPOS and does very well. 115gr bullets take rams very well but 147gr shoot flatter. It is not my choice for this game. I prefer the 30 cal. cartridges ( 32 H&R MAG., 30 M1Carbine, 32/20 WIN, and the 270 REN.) I own a pair of each and swap around as the need hits me. A bunch of shooters are using the 22 Hornet but care must be taken not to damage targets with factory loaded velocity (over 2000 f.p.s.) Fell free to contact me or swing through FT.SMITH, AR. for a match. I help James Slusher with the match duties. Steve Tapp (Extravaganza Ironman)
donmcdougall
Unclassified Poster

Post by donmcdougall »

I've seen a .45 drop a ram at 200 yards, and a .223 bouce off. It depends on the load and the bullet. Given that HP is on the smaller targets and only out to 100 meters, then I would have to say your safe. Once say a man shoot HP with a 2inch snubbie - it droped the Rams very easily.
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

I have not used the 9mm for Hunters Pistol, nor have I observed anyone using that caliber for the silhouette game.

But I have done a fair amount of Bullseye shooting, and generally speaking, the 9mm is not that accurate at 50 yards. Shooters who are into this game claim the rifling rate of twist is too fast/slow ( I forget which). But if a person decides to use the 9mm semi-automatic, then Hornaday's 147 grain JHP/XTP bullet will give the best accuracy due to the longer bearing surface.

Personally, I used a .22 mag in a TC contender for Hunters Pistol. Most of the better shooters used a TC in .22 Hornet, and one would see the odd .32-20 and .270 Ren in use as well. We even had a few shooters who would just use their .22 LR match barrel with Winchester Power Points - and yes, you will ring some rams and the occasional pig with a .22 LR.
Mark
kb6rxe
Unclassified Poster

Post by kb6rxe »

Steve Tapp said my 9mm Contender is octagonal but it is a bull barrel
I've shot a couple 28/40 with it using open sights but usually I only get 20 to 25, fewer lately.
I use the H&G #7 cast bullet with 3.5g of Bullseye.
kb6rxe
Unclassified Poster

Post by kb6rxe »

I've also dropped fullsize rams at 200 yards using factory ammo but the LASC rams
are usually pretty easy anyway.