Why not the Sako Quad?

This is what we do.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Why not the Sako Quad?

Post by Emietenkorte »

Hi everybody!

I'm a relatively new silhouette shooter hoping to get some information about purchasing my first silhouette rifle. Here is a little bit of my silhouette shooting history and some questions I have regarding rifles.

I started shooting silhouette for the first time in April at the Conard Berhnardt Cup in Pe Ell, Washington and have definitely become addicted. A good friend of mine told me it was something I had to do and he was nice enough to loan me an Anschutz 1710 in a Wooster stock. I entered that match unclassified since it was my very first match and came out of it in the AAA class. Since then I shot two other matches and then shot the Washington State Championships and won both the hunter and standard AAA class. I was also bumped up to the Master class with my scores ranging from 34-37/40.

I definitely want to continue in this awesome sport but the time has come to purchase my own rifle and I am trying to figure out all of my options. I guess the easiest, though not the cheapest option would be to purchase a 1710 or 1712 and have Steve make a stock. However, the Sako Quad is a rifle that has peaked my interest and I'm starting to wonder, why not go with the Sako?

Is the Sako Quad a rifle that will be competitive in the Master class? Why or Why not?

Does anyone in the Master class shoot this rifle?

If Accuracy between an Anschutz and Sako were the same what would be the deciding factors that could help me choose between the two?

If I purchased a Quad will I just find myself wishing I bought the Anschutz?

Any information that could be provided will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You! :D
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Why not the Sako Quad?

Post by Innocent »

Erich,
Good shooting at the states! Sako quad does have some models with the weight low enough to take a scope and still make weight.
The biggest complaint I have heard about the Sakos is the price of the magazines. I have shot Sakos (not a quad) some that were owned by master class shooters and typically they are great rifles. Only other comment I have is availability of parts (firing pins, triggers etc) if you wish to modify or repair for some reason.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Erich,

I don't know much about the Sako so I'm probably not the best person to answer your specific question, but the thing you need to be thinking about is the trigger. The biggest reason you see so many Anschutz rifles on the line all over the country is the trigger. I don't know if you're shooting a two-stage or single-stage trigger on the 1710 but many of the shooters I know, myself included, prefer a two-stage trigger for silhouette. Anschutz makes great two-stage triggers and if that's what you want, you should go with an Anschutz.

Outside of the trigger, Anschutz rifles are very nice but other rifles are too. I've seen lots of rifles that are accurate enough to shoot a perfect score in silhouette and I'm sure the Sako is one of those. Also, some shooters find a particular rifle they like for some other reason; just the way it holds can be enough of a reason to use a certain rifle.

Since you're probably going to end up with a Wooster or Pharr stock on whatever you shoot and since you're going to buy a high-end rifle with the accuracy needed to shoot this game, I believe you should make your choice based on your preference of trigger.

Great shooting and welcome to Master class!

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin,
A lot of Sakos have very nice triggers. I have had an Annie in which the trigger was so bad that Steve at 10 Ring threw it in the trash when he felt it, and just put in a new trigger. It came on a brand new Meister grade 222.
My first nationals in Winny were shot with a Sako Finnfire, loaned to me by my mentor because he didn't like my hunter rifle, a Winny mod 67, stock condition. The Finnfire was an amazing rifle, and in stock conformation, only the glass was custom Premier with large dot.
As for Erich, having spotted for him at CBC I think he should hold the Sako he is considering first, and consider the the points I mentioned, magazine expenses, spare parts and I will add consider the scope mounting concerns which can be challenging in some of the varying sizes.

Mary

dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Innocent wrote:Dustin,
A lot of Sakos have very nice triggers.
Sakos come with two-stage triggers?

Dustin
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Thank you all for the responses. I have been shooting on a single stage trigger but have tried the two stage triggers and found that I prefer the single stage. I definitely have some things to consider. I will have to try some of the Quads out for sure. If there is anyone else who would like to tell me about their experience with shooting a quad in competition it would be very much welcomed!

I hope the shoot in El Paso went well for you Mary!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Emietenkorte wrote:I have been shooting on a single stage trigger but have tried the two stage triggers and found that I prefer the single stage.
That significantly increases your options!

Dustin
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

The trigger is a big drawback for the Sako, but the deal breaker is the stock at least on the synthetic model, the wood one would be better but still not ideal.
On the plus side Quads are crazy accurate and I love the barrel changing option. I have all four barrels, they all shoot great. BTW Boyds has contacted me wanting to use my rifle as a pattern, were working out the details so a better stock may come out of the deal.
My quad.

AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Erich,
I do not know about the Quad triggers, as I have not shot one yet. The Finnfire triggers that I have shot are quite good. I have been impressed with the accuracy of all the Sakos I have shot in both SB and HP. The aforementioned potential issue of finding light enough scope mounts for the Quad (assuming you are looking to meet Hunter weight of 8.5#), could become a problem as there are many sizes available in steel not so many in aluminum. Typically you are looking a 16 to 20 ounces for a scope of decent quality. Not trying to discourage, just suggesting possible bumps in the road to a rifle/scope that you will be happy with. Have you looked at the Browning/Winchester 52 remakes from the 90"s, they may fit what you are looking for.

Mary

Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Mary,
I appreciate knowing the bumps in the road. That's why I ask the question, so thank you for your input :D
I'll check out those Browning/Winchesters. Thanks!
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

After saying what I did about the Quad don't get me wrong, I think it's the best rifle you could buy next to a Anschutz 1712.

DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Just admit it Kevbear, you are a 1712 snob! I will concede that after shooting yours it is a REALLY NICE rifle but they are pricey for us mere mortals. Now if I could shoot like you, Dave Bonner beat you by only a single point this last weekend, then I could take advantage of a 1712 too!

Well done at last weekend's match.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

DavidABQ wrote:Just admit it Kevbear, you are a 1712 snob! I will concede that after shooting yours it is a REALLY NICE rifle but they are pricey for us mere mortals. Now if I could shoot like you, Dave Bonner beat you by only a single point this last weekend, then I could take advantage of a 1712 too!

Well done at last weekend's match.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally, thanks.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kevinbear wrote:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally, thanks.
LOL.

It sounds like you found a lot of nuts!

:mrgreen:
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Well I finally figured it out. I went with the Sako Quad. I put a Lilja Sundberg Taper barrel and Leupold FX-III 25x Silhouette Scope on it, adjusted the trigger down to 2#s for a no creep very crisp trigger pull and I should be ready to go. The Anschutz is certainly a fine rifle but this one has really impressed me. I have shot groups with it I could never get with the Anschutz and since I am partial to the single stage trigger it was a no brainer. Thanks again for all of the input!