Silhouette scope requirements

This is what we do.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Silhouette scope requirements

Post by dustinflint »

Mutstng,

If I were you I'd get a 24x scope with at least a 3/8 dot, mount it on your rifle and start shooting. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot and get better. Ask lots of questions when you have them. Someone knows the answer you're looking for or has tried what you're doing. If you get lots of OPINIONS on a question you ask then take that for what it's worth. I started shooting two years ago and I asked a TON of questions and got some great advice that saved me a lot if headache trying things that don't work - that has allowed me to focus on getting better, not on what equipment to use.

Take my advice on this: buy one of these scopes:

1. Leupold (fx-iii is great, as is the BR series and the vx-3)
2. Weaver T-series
3. Sightron Big Sky silhouette
4. Bushnell Elite 4200

That is not in the order recommended or anything but you won't go wrong with any of those. Don't buy anything else, just spend the money on one of those.

Also, take my advice on this: shoot at least a 3/8 min dot reticle (1/2 min is good too)

If you get a new Weaver or Bushnell, you'll have to pay about $100 to get a bigger dot installed. The Leupolds and Sightrons can be bought new with nice dots. You might find an older Weaver with a 1/2 min dot if you look around.

Those are absolutes, the rest of this post is opinion.

My advice is to get either a fixed 24x scope or a variable that goes up to 24x. You'll get used to the 24x in no time and, if anything, you'll want to go up in mag, not down. I shoot all 24x but know several shooters that like 36x and 40x. My spotter shoots 60x. I suggest you start at 24x.

I have at least one of every scope I listed. My favorite is a Weaver T-24 because I believe (just my opinion) that they track the best of any of those scopes. Reliable tracking is the most important thing in this game. I have the older Weaver T-24s on both of my smallbore rifles and my Target air rifle. Those older ones have 1/2 min dot reticles and 1/4 min adjustment clicks. I like the 1/4 min adjustment because it keeps all of my adjustment from chickens to rams within one revolution on the knob.

On my Open air rifle, I have a new Weaver t-24 that I had the reticle changed from a 1/8 min dot to a 1/2 min dot. That scope has 1/8 min adjustments but I don't adjust any more than 2 min total from chickens to rams so it doesn't matter.

On my Sporter air rifle I have a Bushnell 6-24 with a 1/4 min dot reticle. I don't mind a small dot for air rifle because all of the air rifle targets at our local matches, the national championship, Winnsboro and the Texas Nationals have nice backstops that make it easy not to lose the dot. If I were shooting that scope with a berm or no backstop, I'd want a bigger dot. That scope has 1/8 min adjustment but this rifle, like my Open rifle, requires very little adjustment from chickens to rams.

On my Highpower rifle I have a Leupold with a 1/2 min dot and 1/4 min adjustments. I shoot this scope over a weaver because it has longer eye relief and that is good for a rifle with a little recoil. Also, the Leupold scopes are incredibly clear and that's nice shooting out to 500m.

The easiest thing you could do is just jump on the Leupold that has been mentioned above. That's a great deal in a great scope that you can always send in to have repairs done at the factory and it will hold its value should you decide to sell it. In fact, if you get any one of the scopes that I listed above and decide that you want to sell it, just let me know.

Good luck.

Dustin
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Sorry to pile on but I didn't see anyone mention specifically the Leupold 25x fixed (competition series) scope. I have four of these on my Smallbore and high power rifles all with 1/2 minute dots. They're bright as hell and designed with our game in mind.

That and you can find them new for right around $500 (about $100 less than the 6.5-20).

They also make a 30x and off both 3/8 and 1/2 minute dots. All are 1/4 minute clicks.

I'm only chiming in as I feel getting this last piece of the puzzle was the big differentiator in my finally shooting some decent scores. Having confidence in the ability to repeat your settings lets me focus on fundamentals.

Welcome to a great shooting community. Hope to meet you at a match sometime soon!

:ymcowboy:
Res ipsa loquitur
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Bigfoot wrote:Sorry to pile on but I didn't see anyone mention specifically the Leupold 25x fixed (competition series) scope. I have four of these on my Smallbore and high power rifles all with 1/2 minute dots. They're bright as hell and designed with our game in mind.

That and you can find them new for right around $500 (about $100 less than the 6.5-20).

They also make a 30x and off both 3/8 and 1/2 minute dots. All are 1/4 minute clicks.

I'm only chiming in as I feel getting this last piece of the puzzle was the big differentiator in my finally shooting some decent scores. Having confidence in the ability to repeat your settings lets me focus on fundamentals.

Welcome to a great shooting community. Hope to meet you at a match sometime soon!

That is the FX3 Dustin and I are talking about. Bought my second one from Chicken George last year. :-bd
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

cedestech wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Sorry to pile on but I didn't see anyone mention specifically the Leupold 25x fixed (competition series) scope. I have four of these on my Smallbore and high power rifles all with 1/2 minute dots. They're bright as hell and designed with our game in mind.

That is the FX3 Dustin and I are talking about. Bought my second one from Chicken George last year. :-bd
Yep, FX3 - great scope!

Dustin
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

I actually prefer the glass in older BR 24's, but otherwise the FX3 25x40 if you can handle the magnification. In the last couple of years I've cut back to the VX2 6-18x40 or a Sightron Big Sky 20x42.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I had a Lepold 24X BR scope and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. You had to have an advanced engineering degree to focus the damn thing. It was an older model and I don't know what the new ones are like. I think any fixed power between 24 and 30 would work out just fine. The 3/8 or 1/2 dot is a must. The 1/8 target dot is real hard to find at times.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Jerry G wrote:I had a Lepold 24X BR scope and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. You had to have an advanced engineering degree to focus the damn thing. It was an older model and I don't know what the new ones are like. I think any fixed power between 24 and 30 would work out just fine. The 3/8 or 1/2 dot is a must. The 1/8 target dot is real hard to find at times.
I'm with Jerry. What a pain in the ass those are! It's not too bad for high power but for smallbore it's ridiculous.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

They are painful if you try to us the factory markings. It always seemed best to find the best focus for each distance, mark it with pencil or a decal, and then just use those settings.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Anyone know anything about the Leupold M8 24X? I have found one at a good price. Will need Reticule change from fine cross hair to dot. Also, anyone know the cost to have ret. changed out? Better off to avoid all that and just bite the bullet, new 25x. OK Dustin, which is it for smallbore RF, 3/8 or 1/2?
Thanks
Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Mark,

I think it's about $100 to change the reticle after shipping and all. Leupold will do it for you but you have to send the scope to them and wait - I hate waiting. If it were me, I'd spend more to get what I want it without waiting.

You'll be happy with either 3/8 or 1/2 min dots, they are very close to the same size. I prefer 1/2 min only because that's what I have and thats what I'm used to. You will probably find a few more folks that prefer 3/8 to 1/2 min. You'd have a very hard time telling them apart.

You're choosing between Leupolds and choosing between 3/8 and 1/2 min dots... You're going to be happy with any of those decisions.

Dustin
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Thanks. I forgot the most important part. I want the one that vaporizes turkeys. I saw some young ladies in Winnsboro using that one. Forgot to ask what model it was. Hope all had a good 4th!!! :-bd
Stay Safe
Mark
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

That sad but true part about it. You could have handed them a rifle and scope, with the dot rolling around in the bottom of the scope. No really, that's they way it supposed to be. And they still would have hit them. You go Girls!
Stay Safe
Mark
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Well, Elisabeth cheats - She has Pat whispering in her ear when she shoots. You ever have Pat whispering to you when you shoot? Guaranteed to hit everything. Hell, Pat's whispering-in-the-ear technique is the very reason Elisabeth exists!!!

I've got Elisabeth figured out - I dont know how Cathy does it.

Dustin
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

Dustin,

At our last club match Elisabeth shot a 38 & 37 with no spotter. Pat was out of town so I think theirs a hole in your theory. Now that you think you have her figured out all that needs to be done is out shoot her.

Good luck with that!
Paul Freeman
Alvin, Tx
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

by BCloninger on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:35 pm

They are painful if you try to us the factory markings. It always seemed best to find the best focus for each distance, mark it with pencil or a decal, and then just use those settings.

If you are using it for SB, you need to count revolutions to go from one animal to another. They don't work like a 6.5 x 20.