New to the sport.

This is what we do.
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New to the sport.

Post by apr67 »

Dustin,

Based on your experiences, $400 gun, $100 trigger, $100 stock, Around $100 for 3 more mags, and now I am entering anschultz country. That's what I don't want to do, try and turn a check into a German. I guess that is why I am now leaning towards the savage II G.
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

Hey, no disrespect for the CZ crowd. I shoot a Walther that they dont make anymore. Just Anschutz is the best available today. Used to be, you buy cheap, you get cheap. Used to be, rifles never shot all that well out of the box. Has times changed? I guess we'll see. Years ago guys where winning championships with super-duper Ruger? actions. Those rifles fell out of favor. Why? I think because the Tubbs and the Winsteads of the world can shoot anything and frankly, Joe Blow can't. Me? I'm Joe Blow and I need the best available. If u can shoot a CZ to master scores, God Bless. Trust me. I'm with you.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Well, you actually wont be getting close to Anschutz money. A new Anschutz 1712, which is what you should get for this game if you were to buy an Anschutz, will cost you about $1,900. Even with all the stuff I did to my gun, I only have about $600 in it.

You dont have to do everything I did to make it shoot. A CZ will shoot great right out of the box but you are probably going to have to adjust the trigger to keep the factory one from driving you crazy. A $14 Yo Dave kit will do the trick. You dont have to change out the stock and you certainly dont need 3 extra magazines. I shoot 1 magazine. In my experience, a CZ 452 with a Yo Dave kit and a striker spring will be better than the Savage; but the Savage will certainly work.

Dustin
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

apr67 wrote:Dustin,

Based on your experiences, $400 gun, $100 trigger, $100 stock, Around $100 for 3 more mags, and now I am entering anschultz country. That's what I don't want to do, try and turn a check into a German. I guess that is why I am now leaning towards the savage II G.
Do what your budget allows as it allows. Yo-Dave has a shim kit for the CZ that costs what - $12? You can spend more if it entertains you, but that's always true in this game. Realistically, $400 for the rifle, $600 for the scope and $40 for rings - and $400 for a case of practice ammunition. When you feel like something is holding you back, change it, and when you're done you'll know exactly what that new custom rifle should look like.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

The only thing cheap about an Anschutz is the fact that you can get $12 magazines for it. Thank goodness!
Baby Huey
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Post by apr67 »

dustinflint wrote: A new Anschutz 1712, which is what you should get for this game if you were to buy an Anschutz, will cost you about $1,900.
Does the 1712 qualify as a hunter class? For some reason I guess I was thinking of the 1416, however I can see your point. Even $800 is a deal compared to $1,900.

Perhaps based on costs this sport isn't for me.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Yes the 1712 will qualify for hunter. The 1416 I have will probably make weight, also, though I am not sure.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Post by apr67 »

The pics of 1712s I have seen looked bull barreled.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

apr67 wrote:Perhaps based on costs this sport isn't for me.
I hope that I didn't lead you to believe that you have to drop a lot of money to enjoy this game. That is absolutely NOT the case!

You most certainly do not ever have to have an Anschutz to be competitive in this game. This is a skill game and I'd say that scoring is 90% shooter and 10% equipment. That said, dealing with that 10%, you need a quality scope that repeats well (you've seen plenty of suggestions on scopes) and you need an accurate rifle that you are comfortable with. My suggestion is to spend a little bit more, if you can, on a CZ over a Savage because I think you'll be happier with the CZ for a longer time (i.e. you wont be itching to upgrade as quickly)

I am very confident that I can shoot master scores with my CZ. I only bought an Anschutz because I want one; they are VERY nice rifles. The CZ is also a very nice rifle as is the Savage. Get what you feel comfortable buying and shoot as much as possible. Get into it with whatever you have or want to buy and if you like it you may decide to spend some more money on your equipment.

If you REALLY want to get a good idea of how much you like it without breaking the bank, buy a nice scope that has been recommended on this thread and put it on your Marlin 39A for a while. I shoot a Marlin 39A in cowboy smallbore and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. If you decide you want to get a bolt action, you will have a few months more experience to know what you like and make an informed decision.

Dustin
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Post by apr67 »

dustinflint wrote:If you REALLY want to get a good idea of how much you like it without breaking the bank, buy a nice scope that has been recommended on this thread and put it on your Marlin 39A for a while. I shoot a Marlin 39A in cowboy smallbore and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. If you decide you want to get a bolt action, you will have a few months more experience to know what you like and make an informed decision.
Thanks. My 39A is a 1947 model. It only takes 3/4" tube scopes, and I don't want to drill holes in her.

So that leaves me buying a gun. That is why I was looking at the kid sized CZ and Savage. They are cheaper to start with, and since I don't like the stocks on any of the guns, I would restock with a boyds Rimfire Target Hunter (or Tacticool, I just wasn't sure it was a legal stock in hunter). I would get a DIP scope mount for either rifle, and use my BSA scope until summer.

I guess I just need to find people in N. Florida with these rifles and try them.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

every savage rimfire i have tried shoots great, only issue is they are almost all heavy barrel. that is not a problem. just shoot standard. you dont need to shoot both classes. there are many threads on pros and cons of 1 vs 2 rifles. the thumbhol savage is very comfortable and holds about as well as one could want.

the thumbhole and a accutrigger makes it an easy gun to shoot for a LONG while. i had a CZ and liked it very much and its a nicer looking rifle than a sporter savage. better stocks for sporter as well. so if you want to shoot hunter go CZ anything except the thumbhole varmint is good.

if you dont care about having to shoot both classes i would lean towards the savage.

most importantly....please do not take any advice as definitive, sticker shock does turn somepeople away.

we buy nice rifles cause we like them, not cause we NEED them. w are enthusiast, both about silhouette and rifles for the sake of rifles.

i would not go so far as to say ignore everyone leaning towards buying the best you can, there are nuggets of wisdom in almost every thread, some of those nuggets are polished over time by experiance to become shiny bits of gold.

it is a great sport mostly because you dont HAVE to buy expensive gear to play the game. lots of these codgers do nothing but shoot eat sleep work to buy more ammo, shoot sleep eat poop work to buy new gear argue with spouse work buy gear, etc etc.

listen then filter what work for YOU ,and have fun.

best,
handsome dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Going back quite a bit of time here, but when I first started shooting silhouette, I began with a Remington 597 with a BSA scope. The bsa worked fine for me. I believe Dee started shooting with the same gun aswell. The point is, start with something in your price range and just have fun!
Baby Huey
apr67
B Poster
B Poster

Post by apr67 »

Went to a local Funstore and held a Savage and a CZ. The CZ was a 455 American in 22WMR, and the Savage was a Savage Mark II Classic (if you haven't seen a mark 2 classic, look here: http://www.reedssports.com/Product/prod ... 16&pc=2449 ).

They were very similar feeling in my hands, both pointed very well, however the cheek rise on the Savage was higher and seemed like it might be better for a scope. The current 'G' model has a stock with the same shape, just not made out of Walnut (and without the ebony foretip).

Decisions Decisions.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

If you like the Savage, that's the way to go! We can tell you the formulas that have worked for us, but everyone has their own preferences (I won't mention my aberration here).
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

I don't know why you guys are almost beligerent against Anschutz products (except for the one guy who bought one just to have one). You don't have buy a brand new which admitedly is expensive. There are many other used options. There are many used 64 actioned ones that are very accurate and acceptable. For many years I shot a Savage/Anschutz, which is a 64 actioned light bbl'ed position gun I converted to a silouette rifle. I bought a newer (which u don't have to do) 2 stage trigger and the gun doubled (with a stock change) as a position gun and a silo gun. Hey look, if you want to be an occasional shooter looking to have fun (nothing wrong with that), then shoot your Marlin with a 3x9 BSA (or whatever) scope and try it out and have fun. But, if you want to get serious and shoot serious scores you have to upgrade your equipment. Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight.