Two guns vs one gun??

This is what we do.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Two guns vs one gun??

Post by dustinflint »

I know this question has been discussed here before and I know all the arguments both for and against using 2 guns (standard & hunter) vs. 1 gun (hunter).

I'm looking for opinions from people who use or have used two guns? What is/was your experience SCORE-WISE? Do/did you score better with the standard gun? Has anyone quit using the standard gun (for reasons other than you just got tired of carrying the thing)? Do you find it a lot harder to keep up with sight settings, ect, with 2 guns. Do you find that one gun suffers due to lack of practice with it?

Obviously, I'm considering a standard gun but I'd like to know from those who have actual experience shooting 2 guns whether it's worth it.

Thanks.

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Two guns vs one gun??

Post by Innocent »

Advantages to two guns. Can set up the stock and trigger to much better fitting rifle.
Disadvantage: adjusting to the two different triggers weights, more limited adjustment for the stock fit. Two scope settings to keep up with, and if you travel (especially fly) more to keep track of, weight to deal with and pack.
I have both in HP...another advantage there is some rest for the barrels in a match.
I also have both in smallbore but tend to stick with my hunter rifle, a WInchester 52 because it points naturally for me.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Mary,

Do you see any difference in scores between your standard gun and hunter gun?

Dustin
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I shoot, on average, higher scores with the standard gun. The extra weight, stock design and light trigger is an advantage to me. However, when a few years ago, I decided to shoot both hunter and standard in one match I shoot only the hunter gun in both. More important to me than the sight setting issue is the difference in hold and trigger between the two guns
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin, in overall average, no difference in the scores. Now as an additional comment, when I finally went to strictly single gun, a hunter (the winny 52) I frequently shot a 30 to 32 in the first match (which in Florida tends to be standard rifle) and the 34 to 35 in the afternoon match (hunter) so I made Hunter master long before attaining the standard class master, about 5 years as I recall.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Dustin,
I shot two for some time and went to one a few years ago. I love light triggers, but found I struggled even more with the 2lb Hunter trigger when I was shooting both so I went to one and shoot the 2lb trigger all the time. Because of Carpal Tunnel issues sometimes even a light trigger seems like it's 10 lbs. I like the fact that I only take one rifle with me now as when shooting HP as well 4 guns and ammo is to much of a hassle.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Ditto on what bob said...I use 1 for each....only have to lug two guns across the country.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have always shot better scores with my heavy gun.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I'm relatively new to this game, having started this past Spring. I started with a Standad gun (54:18 MS) and then put together a 1710 for Hunter. I quickly gave up shooting the 54:18 despite loving the rifle, its trigger, and the results for many similar reasons: toting two rifles, two very different triggers, different weight balance...so now I shoot my Hunter in both classes and typically score higher when shooting it as a Standard rifle. Go figure. With one gun I am only dealing with one trigger and feel like there is greater consistency in my shooting -- lots of trigger time with one, rahter then switching back and forth an confusing myself. And only 1 rifle to clean when I get home...

topclass
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

"Beware of the man with one gun, he proberly knows how to use it"
Truer words never spoken.
I messed with 2 early on, had a great Pharr stocked 1712. Problem was I shot my stock Weatherby just as well.

YMMV

chuck
shootnchef
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shootnchef »

I am just starting to shoot two guns again after many years of shooting one.
The biggest thing I did was make the heavy gun a one stage trigger, set at about 14 oz.
The scopes being the same is more important than anything else.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Bob259, Does this mean I'm right, again.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

ppkny wrote:Bob259, Does this mean I'm right, again.
ppkny
None of us would EVER admit to that... =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

I shoot 2 guns in high power. Coming from a position shooting background, I found the lighter triggers and better fitting stocks gave me higher scores in standard rifle. But, as I soon found out, only by a couple of animals. Going back and forth between guns was never a problems as long as I had my settings written down and of course, accurate. The trigger difference was no big deal, (I shoot a Jewel 2 stage in standard) as long as I started with the standard gun. I also shoot with identical scopes (Luepold 36x). I found on windy days, the hunter gun scores suffered as it was tough to break on targets with a 2lb trigger. Other than that, "If you want to make it to Carnegi Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice".
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

For high-power tenX is right, but for smallbore save your money on the gun and buy more ammo and shoot more. If there is one thing I've learned my first year, trigger time and practicing are everything!!! Not quite EVERYTHING but a huge part!! Just remember, really good shooters can shoot any gun great. Dont make me tell ya the tale of the righty that shot a ram lefty with MY rifle the first time we met! :ymapplause:
Baby Huey