Two guns vs one gun??

This is what we do.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Two guns vs one gun??

Post by Dee »

It all boils down to 99.9% of all shooters are incapable of shooting better than their equipment. Come on out and try with gramps old squirrel rifle if that is what floats your boat or if you think you are being held back by your current equipment then maybe you are more committed to the game than most people and you should upgrade. I said I would never need another .22 after getting my 1712 but I already know one day I will end up with a 54.18 for Standard, just not in a rush to get there. Wishing my HP build was done all the way right now!

As for the original intent of the thread what was that about again? If they didn't shoot better scores or feel more capable of shooting them with the Standard only rifle they wouldn't be shooting them. The reason must be that the scores are better else why bother?

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Every gun I own has a 2lb 2oz trigger by design, some hold better because there heavier. I only shoot my 1712 because manageing one gun is easier.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote: If they didn't shoot better scores or feel more capable of shooting them with the Standard only rifle they wouldn't be shooting them. The reason must be that the scores are better else why bother?
I'm interested in how many people have tried and shot better scores and those that have tried and shot equal or worse scores. There are lots of theories and I understand all of them but I would rather hear about actual experience.

Kevinbear, you just touched on my next question: is there an advantage to shooting the same trigger settings on all the guns and just having the standard for the extra weight? It looks like you don't feel that you get much of a scoring gain with the standard to make it worth your effort to carry it to the match.

Dustin
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

You're right -- your original thread did get hijacked. Sorry 'bout that.

Re the original post:

The question is way too subjective.
You're trying to reduce everyone else's experience to a short 'yes-or-no' answer and the fact is that you can't do that via a keyboard.
Every 2 pound trigger won't necessarily be exactly like every other 2 pound trigger. They all 'feel' different. And balance is far more important than a pound/pound and a half of weight in the overall gun. And bbl length and 'hang' -- which is slightly different from balance -- can be markedly dissimilar from one gun to another. And so forth and so on, ad infinitum. What works for one person won't necessarily mean squat to another.

The scores posted at larger matches are always very similar between Hunter and Standard, with, usually, a very small advantage accruing to the Standard. Keeping in mind that, often, the Hunter is shot later in the match program -- different conditions, fatigue factor, etc -- there is probably no practical difference.

I've watched 3 perfect scores shot in major matches...always with Hunter guns. Does that mean much of anything? Who knows?

If you must determine how many guns you need by reading about it (instead of by attending matches, borrowing equipment and seeing how differences affect you) look at what the big kids do. AFAIK, almost all of them stick, mostly, to one gun. They do that because it works. Using 2 guns just doesn't gain -- for them -- a useful advantage across the board...except in very specific circumstances...and they certainly don't make the decision arbitrarily.

FWIW, after 16 years of shooting the game, running matches, acting as line officer and, more importantly, carefully observing what's going on at just about all the levels, I 'think' that the heavy gun shows a SLIGHT advantage when shooting in flat conditions and loses a tiny bit to the Hunter in the wind. (Here in TX, conditions are seldom friendly and I long ago switched to one gun because it has given me the best consistency.) Unless you can cherry pick your conditions, I'd bet a small libation that really learning one gun that will allow you to shoot both classes will probably prove best in the long run.

As the saying goes; YMMV -- and you're going to have to get out and do the road test for yourself.
E Kuney
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

The short answer, learning to shoot silhouette using a heavy rifle and light trigger was much easier, once the mental game and hold is mastered the hunting rifle for both classes is the way to go, at least that's been the case for many of my friends and myself.
Kb
shootnchef
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shootnchef »

Nomad is right the 2 forty out of forty i've seen shot have been done with a hunter rifle. and that shooter now uses a 1712 stock for both guns
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hugh »

I shot two guns for a while, then I switched to one gun, now I shoot 2 guns again. However, my standard gun has a 2lb trigger. I've found I shoot my best scores the second match of the day, regardless of the gun.

Until they make equal guns for right and left handed shooters, changing the rules to a pure factory gun is discrimination. Period. And that is completely unacceptable.

hugh
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

I shoot two guns in smallbore and highpower. My scores between the two guns is at most three animals if that. I shoot two guns cause its more of a challenge to myself to shot two guns that are totally different from each other. I personally believe its makes you a better shooter to have to adapt than just shooting the same gun all the time. :-B
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

^:)^ =))