Opinions on the new Anschutz 1712

This is what we do.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Opinions on the new Anschutz 1712

Post by dustinflint »

I'd like to buy a barreled action to put in a Pharr stock (or buy a nice used one; see my ad in the marketplace if you're selling!). Does anyone have any experience with the newer "side safety" 1712 actions? Can you tell me the differences between this action and the older wing-safety actions? Any benefits or drawbacks to one or the other?

Dustin
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Opinions on the new Anschutz 1712

Post by CZforlife »

I purchased a side safety 1712 action and had it stocked in a pharr stock 3+months ago and I love it. On a little bit more technical aspect the bolt looks to be the same as the old 54.18 bolts, some agree with this and some dont. Looks wise and firing spring wise they are the same! Evelio will probably fill ya in a little bit more on the bolt, but other than that I think they are pretty much the same. Down the road, you can also put a prone rifle match trigger on the side safety 1712's aswell. Hope this helps, and good luck with finding a rifle that you like! :-bd
Baby Huey
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks Huey, I thought you might respond because you just built your new rig (which is a beautiful rifle).

How long did it take you to build your gun from when you first placed the order for the parts until it was done? I'm thinking that the stock may take quite a while with the recent developments :((

Dustin
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

It took a few months. Getting the action was easy, it was getting the stock and then waiting on the smith work, which Evelio did a very nice job on. About 2-3months not sure exactly.
Baby Huey
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

The new 1712 actions do have the same bolt as the 54 as Huey stated. Nothing wrong with them, except the firing pin springs may have to be change to a longer one for 100% ignition.
Evelio.
Evelio
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks Evelio,

Do you have any idea what the wait time will be for a stock from Robertson Composites? Can I even order one right now?

Dustin
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Evelio is right about the firing spring, I had two FTF with Lapua CenterX so I know for a fact I need to change out my springs. You can get the springs from JnP for $21. Other than that the gun has been flawless!
Baby Huey
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Dustin
At this time, I don't know when Robertson will re-open, or if they ever will.
Evelio.
Evelio