Why high?

This is what we do.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Why high?

Post by Tancred »

Can someone explain the benefit of using high rings? I don't get it, seems like you'd loose your cheek weld.

thanks,

Tancred
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Why high?

Post by silhouette13 »

keeps the head errect thus in theory repeatable and less like ly to fatigue. hence the Pharrs and such having alot of drop at the heel and a higher than normal comb.
some folks will add a strap on cheek piece
cheerio
dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Right on Dave. :-bd
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

It also helps to keep the rifle lower in the stance, making it easier to support the forend with your "off" hand. It really only works well if the cheekpiece is very high also (near the maximum allowable height per the rules).

SteveM.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

The one negative though is on a real windy day, your rifle is gonna just be worthless practically. Doesnt happen often though. :mrgreen:
Baby Huey
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

After experimenting with tall rings I went back to mediums. High rings were more comfortable, and they probably did improve stability, but I cant the rifle inconsistently and tall rings amplify that problem. If you can consistently hold the rifle at the same angle they may work out great for you.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Hammy put me on to a beautiful set of high billet rings, love the look but was not able to keep a good cheek weld so unfortunately I'm back to a lower set of black ones :( ... A consistent and repeatable cheek weld is very important.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
hambone49
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Location: In memory of Tbone, I moved into his house in Hollywood, Florida

Post by hambone49 »

I've been monkeying with ring height for a few years now and it is indeed a tradeoff. Cheek weld vs erect head ( less strain on the neck). Tall folks will like the highs, as the less muscles you employ (or tense up) should enable a better hold. Compromise and personal results are key. I am back to high now, but the wind did eat me up a bit a Ridgway last year.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

absoultely, high rings are prevelent be cause the people who use them findthe benifits out weigh the drawbacks, it i not as standard as say a 54 action. a bunch of guys still use lower rings. especially if using a "real" sporter stock.
the super stocks do help with this.

some of the locals here would never use high rings cause their daddy told them the scope should be a close to the bore a s possible....ie and old deer rifle. the reasoning does not matter with dialed in settings and know distance. it was more logical with the maximum point blank range hunting rifle.

dave
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

thanks for the information, guys
Phill Smyth
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Phill Smyth »

It would also depend on body shape and neck length I being tall feel better with all my rifles hunting and target with a higher more relaxed neck. if that helps
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

I think it is important to note that "high" rings are not a requirement to improve your scores. It is just one of the many variables that a shooter can experiment with in the journey of making the rifle fit. Fit and position is key to building a solid stance than uses very little muscle. Another reason for high rings is to ensure your head is not tilted. When your head is tilted your inner ear is out of equilibrium and may/can add to the challenge of standing still. As for cant management, at one match I noticed a shooter had a level on the scope similar to what stool shooters use. When I asked why the response was to ensure the same cant on every shot. Seemed overkill as the horizontal reticle is a good clue as to correct cant. But, he was a high master shooter so who am I to argue.

The same question has been discussed in NH and I put this http://durant7.blogspot.com/2011/05/too ... right.html together to demonstrate scope height is a personal thing and can only be determined through extensive testing. Here you can see three high master shooters with three very different approaches. As the saying goes, YMMV.
Last edited by durant7 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

NH? i hear that NH is a hot bed of up and coming talent, best in new england to say the least.
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I think the angle of the stock in relation to the barrel, has a lot to do with height of rings too. With mine and body construction, 1-1/2 inch tall rings would be ideal coupled with lower rest against my shoulder, but current 1-1/4" tall rings work fine. Some day I will search for 1-1/2 inch tall rings and I cant my rifle too, which is natural. My 2 cents.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

What most people forget is that when the rings are too low you're putting your head in an unnatural position for offhand shooting. With you head scrunched low, your eye has to go to the top of your eye socket which is not optically correct and therefore fatique comes sooner. Years ago, the hot setup was a bridge mount coupled to rings on top of that. Before that, "chin guns" were in vogue and numerous records fell. Because of them, NRA instituted a rule change. As far as canting goes, which most people commonly do, just adjust the scope's reticle to level while your rifle is mounted and you should have no problems. Have someone look at you with your rifle mounted with your head upright with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and have them make an assement of where the middle of your eye is in relation to the scope and adjust from there.