Turn up the bling

This is what we do.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Wow! A lefty, Fortner, silhouette rifle! Too cool.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

bland?

Post by psteiger »

actually there is a lot of green in this puppy, if I put anymore green in it, it will have a lot of red on it, so sayeth the boss. <snicker>

I could get a red trigger though..............Evilio?

The animals were sold to me by Alex Paige's daughter for $1.50 a sheet. Wimpy's niece. I'm sure he could be prodded into providing them to the masses. Anyone in Beaumont listening in?

like I said, Evilio did a really nice job. Many thanks to him. Now I need to lern how to hit.....

p
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Evilio seems to always do very nice work! How did you go about deciding what went into this rifle?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Funny you should ask that question. It started out with me wanting a lefty 1712 to replace my 1416. I had the 1827, but could not find a lh repeater Anschutz bolt action. A 1907 barreled action was gonna be $1200 or so. Mark, Paul, Evilio, and Wooster all helped with the barrel selection. #53 tight bore. Evilio decided it could be 24 inches and still make weight. The added plus was the 1827 came with the 5018 trigger. It took a 1712 mag housing to replace the biathalon long version. (otherwise it stick way out.) Steve Woooster makes a nice stock, I was going to have him make me one we just haven't gotten together on it yet. Ian got this one out to me last year. Evilio reworked the trigger, new springs and set it up and bedded the barreled action. (he also installed the barrel) He also made the front dovetail. The 1827 action does not have an intergral dovetail. As you can see, my component selection was really pretty basic. I have a Premier reticle 36X on it, I want an 18-40 or the new 30x for it. I really like Leupold scopes. Did I answer your questions? I also considered an Ultralight action, but it was gonna be a pain getting it in a repeater and getting it set up. I'll let you know how it works out. It was 1 ounce under without any added weight with a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32 on it. It balances just in front of the mag. It's tough being a lefty sometimes.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Basic? Sounds pretty sophisticated to my rookie ears!

Your first choice was driven by available left handed actions, and from there components were selected based on fit and experience - and you had a lot of experience to draw on!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

So what's the big advantage of a two stage? There must be one. Some people have put a lot of effort into mounting them into rifles that weren't designed with them. (ex. Annie trigger into a Rem 700.)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

It's a safe way to get a very light trigger pull and stay within the rules.
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

Mr. Steel Ram....Let me just guess that you have never been to a big national match before. And, If you ever did get up off your ass and go to one these national championship events ,you would see that these guys who travel thousands of miles to shoot in this type of tournement, rent a motel room for a week and a rental car, plus meals and entry fees, are sporting around the best rifle that is availible....And it cant be bought in Texas. Even if they do not win the the U.S, or the Canadian Naionals....they still still have the pride in ownership of a rifle that will alow them to compete at an international level....M.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

metalhead wrote:Mr. Steel Ram....Let me just guess that you have never been to a big national match before. And, If you ever did get up off your ass and go to one these national championship events ,you would see that these guys who travel thousands of miles to shoot in this type of tournement, rent a motel room for a week and a rental car, plus meals and entry fees, are sporting around the best rifle that is availible....And it cant be bought in Texas. Even if they do not win the the U.S, or the Canadian Naionals....they still still have the pride in ownership of a rifle that will alow them to compete at an international level....M.
Marvin,

"....And it cant be bought in Texas."
Are you saying there are no gunsmiths in Texas up to the task of building a top of the line Silhouette Rifle? I am sorry but that is what I got from your statement. I guess everyone from Texas need to stay home this year, because we don't have good enough equipment to compete.

Paul
texassbshooter
Unclassified Poster

Post by texassbshooter »

I am not sure who sold the scope animals to psteiger, but it wasn't me or my daughter. I do have a sign shop I do business with that has made decals for me with the silhoutte animals in the design. If anyone is interested, I can check with them to get pricing on the decals. Since they already have the design in their system, it may not be that expensive to get them resized.

Thanks,
Alex
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Definitely interested if the price is reasonable!
nanaimoman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nanaimoman »

steel_ram wrote:So what's the big advantage of a two stage? There must be one. Some people have put a lot of effort into mounting them into rifles that weren't designed with them. (ex. Annie trigger into a Rem 700.)
Hey even with a two stage trigger there are days where I feel as though that trigger weighs 10lbs "It's a mental thing"!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Is the two stage trigger an acquired taste? I've used them and like them, but so far I'm just as a happy with a good single stage trigger.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Good scotch, real friends, my sense of hunom, two stage triggers, all are an acquired, but worthwhile taset. Indulge yourself, grssshopper.........

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

jneihouse wrote:Good scotch, real friends, my sense of hunom, two stage triggers, all are an acquired, but worthwhile taset. Indulge yourself, grssshopper.........

Kitty
What the heck is hunom, is that one of them massive hangovers that you know your gonna get, but still drink anyway?
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg