Cutting and tapering Anchutz 54 match rifles

This is what we do.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Cutting and tapering Anchutz 54 match rifles

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I had a previous post about the results of tapering the barrel on Anchutz 54.18 rifles to convert them to hunter class, and the results were damm good.
Pryor to my surgery, I had two old Anchutz Match 54 with heavy 27" long barrels one made in 1958, the owners wanted to re-barreled them with Lylja tapered barrels so they would qualify for hunter class. I talked them into cutting, tapering, and re-chambering the existing barrel ( $250.00 versus $600.00 ).
To make the story short, I was at the range last week testing them, and there were 4 guys shooting BR50 with $4000,00 guns, flags, wind meters, etc. I had already tested one of the rifles, and was amazed at how acurate it was shooting, they kind of frown at my gun, and they ask me to shoot one of their guns, I did, and it was no more acurate than the Anchutz, so I ask them to let me shoot my gun againts theirs, and I beat all of them, the shorten and tapered barrel shot fantastic.
To all of you out there that have 54 or 54.18 and thinking about re-barreling for hunter class, think about re-doing your existing barrel, it will save you a bunch of money, and you will be surprised at the accuracy.
Evelio
Evelio
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Cutting and tapering Anchutz 54 match rifles

Post by BlauBear »

Thanks Evelio! Anschutz 54 barrels are under rated - would you recommend chambering and threading instead of replacing, unless someone wants to change balance? It does seem like the factory chambers are generous for most match ammunition, and I keep hearing that threading the barrel is helpful.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Bob
The existing barrels can't be threaded, since there won't be enought material in the O.D. ( 54.18 ) the older model 54 with the heavier barrels could be threaded.
Personally in new barrels, I prefer a light press fit, using bearing Loctite and the original barrel pins. Threading the action will make it kind of weaker, since you are removing material for the threads.
Evelio.
Evelio
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Thanks Evelio! I'll keep that in mind for if (when?) I build another 1712. Is it worthwhile to cut a tighter chamber, true the receiver and true the bolt face? As you know, I like the 1712 balance and even seem to shoot factory or FWT stocks better (what?!), but also know this is a game of reducing the variables.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ