1712 trigger adjustment

This is what we do.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

1712 trigger adjustment

Post by Boyd L. »

I've been familiarizing myself with a 1712 recently. I decided to check the pull weight with a Lyman digital scale. After it came in at 2 lb, 4 oz. I decided to adjust the WOP accordng to the owner's manual.
I backed out the WOP screw per the instructions until it fell out of the unit. NO change in measurable pull. If anything, it would occasionally register an extra ounce. This is the two stage trigger with a single WOP screw in the front of the unit and sear engagement on the side of the trigger. What did I miss? Does this thing need a different spring to get it to 2 lbs exactly?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 1712 trigger adjustment

Post by BlauBear »

It may need a lighter spring.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

BlauBear wrote:It may need a lighter spring.
:-\
I guess a trip to RFC is in order to figure out how to do this.
@-)
I don't reckon it could hurt....
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

With luck, Evelio will jump in here to set me straight - he loves doing that, especially after forbidding me to tinker with anything he builds. My 1712 single stage trigger refused to go below 2lbs, 4ozs - he fixed it for me and sent it back with all the set screws encased in Loctite. I don't think he trusts me... ;)
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

BB I did not Locktite the screws, it is finger nail polish.
Boyd, set the front screw to where is sticking out about .080" this will set your first stage, then set the side screw to about .125" sticking out, this will set your second stage. At this point you will have to play with the side screw to fine tune it, this side screw is real sensitive, don't go more than 1/8 of a turn at the time.
Let me know how it turn out.
Evelio
Evelio
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote:BB I did not Locktite the screws, it is finger nail polish.
Evelio
Notice that he doesn't deny the rest...
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

BlauBear wrote:...Notice that he doesn't deny the rest...
Lol. I noticed that. But are you relieved that he set the record straight on the thread locker of choice?

Anyway.....I've got it back in the stock after trying a cut down spring I had lying around. Not enough "resiliency" in the coils. Even after cutting it a bit longer than the factory spring, 1 lb. 9oz was the most I could get from it. I am learning how the engagement adjustment works.
Boyd, set the front screw to where is sticking out about .080" this will set your first stage, then set the side screw to about .125" sticking out, this will set your second stage. At this point you will have to play with the side screw to fine tune it, this side screw is real sensitive, don't go more than 1/8 of a turn at the time.
Let me know how it turn out.
....After I get back from some trigger time with the current set up, I'll follow the above directions. Many thanks.

One question though
set the side screw to about .125" sticking out
: I assume this is measured from the base it screws into, as measured to the top of the screw?

Again, many thanks.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Adjustment with existing spring didn't produce the results I wanted. b-( I've changed the primary spring...now to figure out how to get as little WOP as possible on the second stage.... :-B
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Mine doesn't have a side screw. I wonder if it fell out , or did they make 2 types? ~x(
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Hawk.
The side screw is mounted right on the trigger lever itself. If it fell out you should still see an empty threaded hole where it should go.
Evelio
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Honest Evelio, I never touched Hawk's rifle...
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Hawk-1 wrote:Mine doesn't have a side screw. I wonder if it fell out , or did they make 2 types? ~x(
Take a picture of each side and post it.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

Checked, there is no threaded hole there. Looks like a little tube that has bradded in.