Need swinger target help

This is what we do.
abarsrecon
B Poster
B Poster

Need swinger target help

Post by abarsrecon »

I am in need of some guidance and I apologize up front if this info has been posted before. I did quite a bit of searching and couldn't find it.
I'm in Lubbock, TX and, unfortunately, the only range I have access to right now is mostly a pistol range. It's in the bottom of a canyon so the distances are somewhat limited. I am wanting to continue practicing rimfire silhouette, but I can only set up targets at the 40m chicken distance.
Is there anywhere to buy swinger targets that have all 4 animals scaled for 40 meters?
Thank you in advance!
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Need swinger target help

Post by jbzeus »

I've had great luck with Quality Targets. They helped me with a special request.

Also, others may disagree but I strongly recommend AR500 for your targets. Even for .22. You will be shooting all at 40 meters so you will be hitting the targets hard regularly. We bent turkey necks and chickens.

I started smallbore at my club and we had damage with the regular steel. And we don't allow hi velocity.

We went with AR500 for the second set and no more problems.

That reminds me, I want to order a set for me!

Jeff
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

what he said x2
abarsrecon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by abarsrecon »

jbzeus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:35 pm I've had great luck with Quality Targets. They helped me with a special request.

Also, others may disagree but I strongly recommend AR500 for your targets. Even for .22. You will be shooting all at 40 meters so you will be hitting the targets hard regularly. We bent turkey necks and chickens.

I started smallbore at my club and we had damage with the regular steel. And we don't allow hi velocity.

We went with AR500 for the second set and no more problems.

That reminds me, I want to order a set for me!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I just checked their website and it looks like this is what I need:
https://www.qualitytargets.com/nra-four ... 3-8-thick/

Just ask them to make it out of AR500? Is there any advantage to having each animal as it's own stand alone swinger? I know that is probably a personal preference, bit I thought I'd ask!
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

Yep, just give them a call. 3/8" AR500.

I would go individual for portability.

Also, sometimes the swimgers will start to move if the ground is soft. Hard ground, hard to poke in the ground. I have seen boards used as a base for additional stability. Sorry, don't have any images.

Jeff
abarsrecon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by abarsrecon »

Just wanted to circle back and let everyone know I appreciate all the help. I listened to y'all and contacted Calvin over at Quality Targets. He was a helpful and easy guy to buy from. I still can not believe how quickly he answered me and then got to work on my order. Everything showed up today and I am anxious to get out and test the targets out.
I ended up getting 4 separate frames with 1 swinger each. Everything sized to the 1/5 chicken size so I can set all of them up at the chicken distance. I listened to y'all and asked Calvin to make them from 3/8 AR500 steel. He was more than happy to oblige. I also picked up a single frame with all 4 animals (sized to the chicken distance) which he also made from 3/8 AR500 steel.
Excellent experience and can not recommend Quality Targets enough!