What custom action for a new SB Silhoutte Rifle?

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

What custom action for a new SB Silhoutte Rifle?

Post by DavidABQ »

I am curious to hear from the individuals who use a custom rifle for SB Silhouette matches. What is the most popular custom action do people use for a SB Silhoutte custom rifle?

I doubt very much that I will ever have a custom rifle built so this is just a, “I am curious” question.

Thank you.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What custom action for a new SB Silhoutte Rifle?

Post by Doodaddy »

Really depends on what you're looking for; there's several options. I used a 2500X single shot right bolt/left port action for mine. Couldn't be happier.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Doodaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 pm Really depends on what you're looking for; there's several options. I used a 2500X single shot right bolt/left port action for mine. Couldn't be happier.
Right bolt but a left port for silhouette? Wouldn’t that be difficult to use? If it works for you that is great; I am trying to figure out how you do it.
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 pm Really depends on what you're looking for; there's several options. I used a 2500X single shot right bolt/left port action for mine. Couldn't be happier.
Right bolt but a left port for silhouette? Wouldn’t that be difficult to use? If it works for you that is great; I am trying to figure out how you do it.
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Significantly easier in my opinion.

As a right handed shooter, I'm always on the left side of the rifle so loading on that side makes sense rather than trying to reach around and do it from the right side. So I'm loading from the side I'm on and can easily see. There's no wrong way to do it; I just prefer this one.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmmm, I had not considered a left hand loading port. Interesting idea.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 pm Hmmmm, I had not considered a left hand loading port. Interesting idea.
Foreign idea at first, but comfortable once you try it. I first got experience with it benchrest shooting and really enjoyed it. If we're ever at the same match, come try it out on mine.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I just may take you up on your offer if you come out to the Nationals at the Whittington Center. Of course that is if Nationals ever return there. Maybe it is the NRA’s intention to make Ridgway the permanent home for Silhouette. 2022 will be the third(?) year that silhouette nationals have been scheduled at Ridgway.
RickF
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickF »

My pet 22 is also a right-bolt left-port single-shot 2500X. I think it is absolutely perfect. The thought of switching hands and flipping a rifle over to load in a right port every shot makes absolutely no sense once you try the left port.

It works because between shots after I shoot, I flip the bolt open to eject and while maintaining my right hand on the grip I rest the barrel of the rifle on a sandbag, take a breath and swear at my incompetence before I reload. When you do that, that left port is staring directly at you. Reloading involves picking up a round with your left hand and setting it on the loading trough without moving the rifle in the slightest. When you are ready to shoot, the left hand goes under the belly of the rifle, the right hand snicks the bolt closed and goes back onto the grip, and the rifle comes up to try again - easy peasy. FAR superior to a right port in my opinion.

I like it so much that when I built my ultimate high-power a year later I went with the same configuration on a BAT.

And in the "for what it's worth" file, I know a bunch of guys who buy a 1712 or similar, then rebarrel and restock it. If you are going to do that, it's no more expensive to go with a custom action in the first place. I think a 2500X or Turbo is superior to any factory rifle action, and it lets you choose any 700 based trigger. Win win.

Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm I just may take you up on your offer if you come out to the Nationals at the Whittington Center. Of course that is if Nationals ever return there. Maybe it is the NRA’s intention to make Ridgway the permanent home for Silhouette. 2022 will be the third(?) year that silhouette nationals have been scheduled at Ridgway.
One day I'll make it out that way.
RickF wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 pm My pet 22 is also a right-bolt left-port single-shot 2500X. I think it is absolutely perfect. The thought of switching hands and flipping a rifle over to load in a right port every shot makes absolutely no sense once you try the left port.

It works because between shots after I shoot, I flip the bolt open to eject and while maintaining my right hand on the grip I rest the barrel of the rifle on a sandbag, take a breath and swear at my incompetence before I reload. When you do that, that left port is staring directly at you. Reloading involves picking up a round with your left hand and setting it on the loading trough without moving the rifle in the slightest. When you are ready to shoot, the left hand goes under the belly of the rifle, the right hand snicks the bolt closed and goes back onto the grip, and the rifle comes up to try again - easy peasy. FAR superior to a right port in my opinion.

I like it so much that when I built my ultimate high-power a year later I went with the same configuration on a BAT.

And in the "for what it's worth" file, I know a bunch of guys who buy a 1712 or similar, then rebarrel and restock it. If you are going to do that, it's no more expensive to go with a custom action in the first place. I think a 2500X or Turbo is superior to any factory rifle action, and it lets you choose any 700 based trigger. Win win.
It's scary how identical we think on this lol.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

DavidABQ not sure where u get your information but SB/HP are not scheduled for Ridgway in 2022!!!!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

44 mag wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 am DavidABQ not sure where u get your information but SB/HP are not scheduled for Ridgway in 2022!!!!
Not yet.
Actually I misspoke, isn't 2021 the third consecutive year that an silhouette nationals have been scheduled for Ridgway, P.A.?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Scheduled yes but there were no Nationals in 2020 so Ridgway was awarded them in 2021 to recoup some of the money that was spent preparing.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm I just may take you up on your offer if you come out to the Nationals at the Whittington Center. Of course that is if Nationals ever return there. Maybe it is the NRA’s intention to make Ridgway the permanent home for Silhouette.
Nope, that is not the NRA'S intention. Not sure why you keep that bullsh&t stirring. Maybe you should stop it.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
Canon82
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Canon82 »

Everyone should just quit paying attention to him and maybe he will go away !
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Doodaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:42 pm Significantly easier in my opinion.

As a right handed shooter, I'm always on the left side of the rifle so loading on that side makes sense rather than trying to reach around and do it from the right side. So I'm loading from the side I'm on and can easily see. There's no wrong way to do it; I just prefer this one.
I don't have a custom action, just a lowly 1710, but I, too, prefer to single-load with my left hand after opening the bolt with my right. The 1700 action isn't a left-port action but is open enough to facilitate lefthand loading. (High scope rings also helps with the process.)

:ymcowboy:
Allen Corneau