Taking the cz 457 Trigger to 2 lb

This is what we do.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Taking the cz 457 Trigger to 2 lb

Post by pdeal »

In messing with my cz 457 I found that the trigger won't adjust down to 2lb as it comes from the factory. I started messing with it and I found that to get the spring out a staked in pin. I did so, replaced the spring with one from Mcmaster carr (9657K613) and now it adjusts nicely to 2lb. I also made a pin with some "E" clips to replace the staked in pin and put a slightly longer screw for weight adjustment in.

I am contemplating making and selling a little kit with the parts for this but I have only tried the concept on my one rifle. If any Steel Chickens member needs to do this to their rifle send me a PM and I will send you the parts and some instructions (free). I'd like to see how it works out for a few other guns and to get a little feedback. I only made 8 of the pins for now.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Taking the cz 457 Trigger to 2 lb

Post by acorneau »

Cool, Neal.

If you need more guinea pigs... uh, customers to help out I'm sure you would get a bunch of responses over on RFC. There's a bunch of CZ folks over there and they love to tinker!

I've been sending everyone that asks about scope rings your way. Hope you're doing well and staying safe!
Allen Corneau
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Maybe the CZ 457 American that I had was an anomaly because I was able to get it down to a 1 lb 4 oz pull.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Alan: I just thought it might best to post here. I don't want to give away a bunch and I think helping to develop a low cost hunter silhouette rifle is good for the sport.

Sporty: Thanks! That is interesting. Mine was nowhere close.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Mine came from the box at ~2#. I went the other direction with the trigger pull and did not try to get a 2# out of it but I "think" that with the trigger mating surface polished a little it would be a very nice trigger ...

Tried to do the light trigger thing and had no luck getting it below 23 oz. Backed the screw all the way out and cleaned the assembly with little/no improvement. Will try a re-spring next I guess. I hope to get about 8-10 oz if possible.

Today I clipped a coil on the factory spring and it dropped to 16 oz pull. While I had it apart I ran the terribly gouged up tool mark infested trigger mating surface over some 600 grit paper (all I had) enough to get most of the gouges out of it. It was really nice but still heaver than I wanted. Replaced the spring with a ball point spring cut to factory length and it dropped - off my scale.... I'm guessing about 3-4 oz but I'm not that good of a judge as I have never had a trigger this light. I dropped the gun on the butt pad several times from about 18" and it did not go off. Worked the bolt at my top speed a number of times with no slam fire.

What I learned so far.

BP Pen spring is lighter than I want.
Tool marks - really?
When "they" tell you to round the corners on the pin before reinsertion they are speaking the truth - pay attention.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

FYI- With the McMaster Carr spring part number I listed above are actually 2 other lighter springs that ought to fit if anyone wants to even lighter without stealing springs out of every gadget in the house.

I found it helpful to install a slightly longer pull weight adjustment screw to get a little more range of pull weight. I will include this also in my "kit"
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

pedal,
I went through the trying to make a CZ trigger better. There are probably 10 kits out there right now that claim to do it. Here's one: https://www.mcarbo.com/cz-75-trigger-spring-kit.aspx
I've spent 30 years in metal working (tool/die maker/design/Eng.) and the basic design of the CZ trigger is flawed from the get go. It's a shame they put such a basic trigger in a gun that usually shoots great out the box. Timney makes a excellent drop in trigger assembly although their current price is a lot more than I paid for mine.
If you really want precision your not going to get it with their design no matter what you do.
ppkny
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Well I don't know. I think if they had put a real nice trigger on it then it wouldn't be a $450 rifle and would probably not sell nearly as well. The trigger is a whole lot better than the ones on my 452's since it does have pull weight, sear engagement, and over travel adjustment screws. I suspect much of what motivates trigger design on production rifles these days is the worry of law suits. With just a little messing around I got it to a pretty nice single stage 2+ lb trigger.

The link you posted is for a 75 trigger kit not the 457. Maybe I missed them but I have not seen too many 457 kits.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

How did you get the spring out? Mine will not come up by gravity alone.
I have 2 457's. One American and the other an MTR.
I have 1 adjusted down to 18 OZ. The other won't go below 24 oz.
Per the specs from CZ, it's supposed to go to 8 oz.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another option would be to R&R the CZ with an Anschtuz 1712 or 1710.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:25 am Another option would be to R&R the CZ with an Anschtuz 1712 or 1710.
Allen Corneau
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

McMaster Carr The top spring - #1 should get you to an easy and smooth 2# trigger. Polish the base/flat part of the trigger and it will be even smoother.

come in packs of 12 for 5.50 per pack. 2 packs of 12 cost me <20.00 delivered in about 3 days.

"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 am
DavidABQ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:25 am Another option would be to R&R the CZ with an Anschtuz 1712 or 1710.
Yeah, that seems about right. I guess that is the norm for me. :))
Black_Talon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Black_Talon »

K Danz wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm How did you get the spring out? Mine will not come up by gravity alone.
You have to remove the trigger itself. That means removing the staked-in trigger pivot pin.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

This is the pin that comes out:
Fig 1.JPG
Then pull the trigger blade out and you will see the spring that needs to be replaced:
Fig 2.JPG
Put back together with my little pin or you can put the staked pin back in. The other think I did was to install a longer pull weight screw. This is an M4x0.7 pointed set screw. The existing one is 8 or 10mm long. A 12mm long screw works a little better for the lighter springs.
Fig 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.