CZ457 Quality Issues

This is what we do.
Sw1ffer
Unclassified Poster

CZ457 Quality Issues

Post by Sw1ffer »

I am in the process of purchasing a hunter class Rifle for my adult son to shoot Silhouette with me and had decided on the CZ457 as he doesn’t like the plastic stock on the Tika. I have read some comments re quality of the bore and crown on the 457 on Rimfire Central and wondered if anyone here has experienced this or if it a rare occurrence? I used to own a CZ452 before my Annie 1712 and it was a great shooter so I thought the 457 would be a good option. Thanks
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: CZ457 Quality Issues

Post by Sporty »

What were the issues? The bore dimension on .22LR CZ is "choked" about 13" in. I had to sand my .22 Dewy rod so it would pass through. Some people use a .20 cal rod. Otherwise my former 457 American had no issues. It had won several gold medals in smallbore F-Class. EDIT: I just recalled I had to install Burris Signature rings with 0.02" offset inserts to bring the rifle scope to the left.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I guess anyone is only going to know of their own single experience, including me. I bought one and I will say I am totally impressed with it. I think this is one of the rare cases where a manufacturer redesigns an old classic and winds up with something as good or better. I guess the only thing on mine I might say is not so good is the wood of the stock, which I would say is poor, but I did not buy it for pretty wood. On the other hand it is a real pillar bedded stock so...
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I guess anyone is only going to know of their own single experience, including me. I bought one and I will say I am totally impressed with it. I think this is one of the rare cases where a manufacturer redesigns an old classic and winds up with something as good or better. I guess the only thing on mine I might say is not so good is the wood of the stock, which I would say is poor, but I did not buy it for pretty wood. On the other hand it is a real pillar bedded stock so...
Sw1ffer
Unclassified Poster

Post by Sw1ffer »

Thanks Sporty and Pdeal. I think the issues referred to are probably common issues that may or may not affect performance. The reference was to poorly machined leades seen via borescope and poorly machined crowns. This wouldn’t be constrained to CZ though as a number of rifles in that price bracket would suffer similarly. In saying that, the consensus seems to be that the 457 is great shooting Rifle so I think that’s the way we will go. Thanks for comments.