Bergara B-14R 22LR

This is what we do.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Bergara B-14R 22LR

Post by Doodaddy »

Bergara is releasing a new bolt action 22lr in mid to late November (with rumor that the barreled action will be available in January). The action will fit in Remington 700 stocks and also be compatible with Remington 700 triggers. If they do end up selling the barreled action and a less cumbersome magazine, this could make for a fantastic silhouette rifle.

Bergara B-14 R Specs:
• MSRP - $1150
• Caliber: 22 Long rifle
• Action: B-14R
• Barrel: 4140 Bergara barrel
• Twist: 1:16
• Barrel length: 18”
• Threaded muzzle: 1/2-28
• Weight: 9.25 lbs.
• Length: 38” with spacers
• HMR stock
• 10 round magazine
• Scope mounts: 6-48 screws, Rem 700 compatible

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Bergara B-14R 22LR

Post by dustinflint »

That magazine made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Dustin
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't that magazine off limits with the support hand for silhouette since it's not flush?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

As long as you don't use it as a rest the magazine as is can work.

People have been clamoring for an aics sized mag for 22lr to use in their training rifles. Makes sense for them to go for that market. I'll buy a barreled action or full rifle, can always put my spare Remington action into the stock, and the aics mags can feed 6br.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Price range?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

dustinflint wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 pm That magazine made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Dustin
Absolutely same for me, but that's why I mentioned the caveat of "less cumbersome magazine". Personally I hate any magazine and vehemently prefer a single shot if we're being honest.

I mean obviously silhouette isn't the intended crowd they're targeting with this rifle. It's a PRS rifle through and through. They're looking to capture the market of the PRS shooters not willing to spend money on a Vudoo and aren't pleased with their Savage/CZ. I believe they'll do well assuming the accuracy is there. It's just a that rimfire rifle that incorporates many 700 aspects and is affordable can have uses elsewhere.
cedestech wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 am Price range?
MSRP is listed as $1150.

I figure streetprice will be sub 1k and if they do end up selling barreled actions, I'd like to see it under $750.
savagesnapper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagesnapper »

I got to get me one of them! Yeah I don’t like the magazine either, nothing is more fake than a prosthetic magazine. But I imagine I can work around it, or convert it really easily to single shot.This rifle looks like it would be awesome for 200 yard benchrest silhouette .!
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Man I just don't see it. Why not a cz 457 and put the leftover $600 in a stock etc.

I don't need it at all but think I am going to buy one of the new cz 457's. They really appear to have some nice improvements over the prev. models. I don't have any 455's but I got about 4- 452's. I think what would be really cool and good for silhouette is if someone would come out with a drop-in sihouette stock for the cz's. I like the idea of a wood stock, nothing fancy, but like a Pharr design.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Doodaddy's post says it well. This is not aimed at us but a totally different group of shooters. Looks like the Holy Grail of .22 trainer rifles for the Tactical crowd..... Guys are spending multiple thousands with Long waits to get R700 based rimfires. For guys who have the money this should be a big deal and make its presence known in a big way....

What I am seeing is someone has stepped up and introduced reality to the rimfire trainer market.... ;)

I have only shot one PRS Match but I want one of these rifles.... :D Put a 3 or 4 thousand dollar scope on that puppy and I too will be one of the Cool Kids.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I think I am going to order one and see if I can find a gunsmith who can convert it into a .308.........

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Training for what?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

pdeal wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:30 pm Training for what?
You know, the tactical, badass operator, 1000-yard kill shot to save the world, never going to run out of bullets during the zombie apocalypse, look at my big truck/gun/beard and not at my small... uh... Yeah, that's what.

b-(
Allen Corneau
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

savagesnapper wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:48 am I got to get me one of them! Yeah I don’t like the magazine either, nothing is more fake than a prosthetic magazine. But I imagine I can work around it, or convert it really easily to single shot.This rifle looks like it would be awesome for 200 yard benchrest silhouette .!
Well they had to create a magazine that was compatible with 700 stocks and such. That magazine is hideous, but I'm not sure how else it could have been done and easily compatible. I figure a single shot adaptation would be very usable or hope that a five round mag is flush.
pdeal wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:40 pm Man I just don't see it. Why not a cz 457 and put the leftover $600 in a stock etc.

I don't need it at all but think I am going to buy one of the new cz 457's. They really appear to have some nice improvements over the prev. models. I don't have any 455's but I got about 4- 452's. I think what would be really cool and good for silhouette is if someone would come out with a drop-in sihouette stock for the cz's. I like the idea of a wood stock, nothing fancy, but like a Pharr design.
Because some shooters prefer a decent two stage trigger and that's not CZ. Plus you hit another great point, stock options. This Bergara fits in any Remington 700 stock giving a multitude of options for a shooter. CZ again doesn't have that.

By the way, Wayne Merrier does make a Pharr style stock for CZs and at a good price.

Ph: (912) 265-0890. Weekdays 10AM-5PM CST
Email: wmerier@comcast.net
acorneau wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 pm
pdeal wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:30 pm Training for what?
You know, the tactical, badass operator, 1000-yard kill shot to save the world, never going to run out of bullets during the zombie apocalypse, look at my big truck/gun/beard and not at my small... uh... Yeah, that's what.

b-(
savagesnapper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagesnapper »

Well, there is really no information on this rifle and it probably won’t be available to the public for another three or four months probably, who knows. Too bad that hideous magazine doesn’t do something functional like hold 100 round of Long rifle ammo or a ham sandwich and a bag of chips, But nonetheless it’s something new, it’s not a CZ ( BTW, I love my CZ 455/Manners) I won’t expect it to shoot like my Anschutz,but weirder things have happened. My Browning T bolt with the Ruger 10/22 barrel on it, yes you read that right! Shoot bugs eyes out add 100 in the tunnel, but it doesn’t really have the best trigger. But this B-14R, I do like the styling, absolutely! The compatibility with R 700 And it’s something I don’t have.! Yet. I’ve got an email into Bergara right now to get a little bit more information on it, and if I see anything that is really worth replying I’ll send it your way.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

The rifle appears to be a really nice effort but aimed (yes I know I am not punny) in a different direction than Silhouette. In a different stock with a different profile on the barrel and it might be an off the shelf contender. I would think that discounting the rifle because you don't like the magazine is perhaps a little narrow in the thinking. Who knows, If there are enough silhouette shooter to matter Begara might move the mag guide rail over to a more standard rimfire location and create or adapt a more "conventional" magazine to fit the rifle. They show more than one magazine/bottom metal configuration in their product line. Or just put a single shot adapter in the gun when you restock....

Speaking of triggers... Rifle trigger upgrade options. Jewell, Bix n Andy, STL, TriggerTech Diamond, Calvin Elite, Timney, Rifle Basix for this rifle seems like a huge plus. IMO only the very top of the line Anschutz "might" improve on a couple of the triggers I listed.The barrel making process on the Bergara rifles seems to be on a par with even the custom makers. https://www.bergara.online/us/barrels/ . With a Premier HMR Pro type stock with attention paid to the weight of the rifle.......?

Another thought.... I have personally and know of many who buy an Anschutz barreled action to get the action and trigger. New barrel and stock before the gun is used.... If this is a ~$1,000 dollar gun buy it - sell the stock to a TT guy and use the R700 purpose built action. Add a Jewell or a Bix and Andy and a (name your own) custom barrel on it and come out cheaper that using an Annie or just about any other custom action as your build base.

Just some thoughts to consider. My .02..... :wink:

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer