Stupid rules question

This is what we do.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Stupid rules question

Post by pdeal »

I am going to shoot the nationals and hopefully the match they shoot the day before. This is actually my first registered match. I have been told by several people that it is a requirement that if a hunter rifle has a magazine the shooter must use it. Is this so? I don't see this in the rules anywhere.

I have a Anschutz 1712 and a 54ms (single shot) and I have been shooting both single shot just for consistency. I only have one magazine for my 1712. I ordered another but still I would prefer not to use it if possible.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Stupid rules question

Post by Sporty »

Below is the smallbore hunting rifle rule from the 2019 NRA silhouette rifle rule book. Considered what a Jury will decide if loading a .22 rifle with a single shot is challenged. I suggest asking each jury member before the match to set your expectations. Notice there's no rule stipulating you must use a magazine.

I have used a single shot adapter with my CZ and I also fed single rounds into the chamber of a tube fed Mossberg 46B because I would still be loading five rounds into the magazine tube after the fire command was given.

3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description
of the High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle, except that (a) the rifle may be a
single-loading rifle, (b) the weight may not exceed 8 1/2 pounds, (c) the rifle
shall be chambered for only factory loaded .22 caliber short, long or long rifle
rimfire cartridges, and (d) barrel turners or additional weights are not permitted.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The people who told you that you have to load rounds out of the magazine are not up to date on the rules.
It has been within the rules to load a single round and use a single round adapter in a magazine repeater for many years now.
The old rule about the requirement to load out of the magazine was simply deleted from the rule book.
There is a discussion on steel chickens about this but the search option does not find it for me.
EDIT:
Found it! The rule was changed in November of 2014 to allow the single loading of repeaters.
You also have verification of the rule from Pete and Dustin in that thread.
http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... 8&start=15
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Thanks! I did look the rules over pretty well. Thanks for the confirmation.

I also read in that thread that there was a max drop at toe rule. Good to know that is not there too. I wondered. I come from mostly an international 3p/air rifle background and those sorts of things are in the air rifle rules for that discipline. Those are being relaxed too.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Yes, silhouette competitors would not like the 60 mm rule or the position/contact rules in the 10 meter games. You are really going to enjoy shooting a national match. It is very different from the local, approved matches.