Best Group: CZ 457 American .22 LR

This is what we do.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Best Group: CZ 457 American .22 LR

Post by Sporty »

It took about 300 rounds for the CZ 457 to settle down. This 5-shot group is with SK Rifle Match. FYI, Eley Tenex shot 2.5 MOA higher and to the right but not any better. Both shot best when loaded singly. Chambering the rounds from the magazine caused flyers with both ammo brands for some reason. Just used one bag under the forearm. Buttstock to shoulder and watched the reticle move with my pulse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Best Group: CZ 457 American .22 LR

Post by Doodaddy »

Sporty wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:23 pmChambering the rounds from the magazine caused flyers with both ammo brands for some reason.
Bullets are usually deformed/altered in some way when being fed from the magazine causing an inconsistency between bullet shape from shot to shot. Every gun will group better being single fed.

That group should be plenty good for silhouette.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

This is in the lever action forum?

Try some RWS branded ammo. The 2 CZ 455s that I have shoot RWS the best for some reason.

Rifle match or R50 if you want premium.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

meh, wish I can delete.
Last edited by Sporty on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

jbmarshtx wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:12 am This is in the lever action forum?
Good point. I guess it was it was a habit posting here or another one of my senior moments. The CZ is just another repeater of a different flavor. lol
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
yodave
Unclassified Poster

Post by yodave »

try torquing the barrel grub screws to 24 inch pounds and the action screws to 32 inch pounds, mine shot lights out set at these values and SK rifle match ammo
6mmintl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 6mmintl »

You might want to disassemble mag and polish inside lips of mag to remove burrs sharpe edges.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A small deformation on bullet oesn't make a difference. Great group!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Think about what Jerry G said. He is right.
The bullet is deformed("engraved") by the rifling when it is chambered.
Then it is fully deformed or engraved by the rifling when it is fired and travels the length of the barrel. People can argue that rifling causes uniform, symmetrical deformation but is that true with the asymmetrical wear that happens in the barrel?
How does that engraving affect flight or is it negated by spin?
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I’ve noticed damage to Rimfire ammo not from magazine feed lips as from the bolt riding on the next round.Not necessarily any particular round in the magazine.It does not appear to cause any irregularities in group.Although I never did check that,I suppose I could save those and shoot a group to determine.
Anyone else have this bolt damage to rimfire?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Wow! That is a very nice group! My Anschutz 1712 at 100 meters prints a group that would make a shotgun proud. :(
savagesnapper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagesnapper »

DavidABQ wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:40 pm Wow! That is a very nice group! My Anschutz 1712 at 100 meters prints a group that would make a shotgun proud. :(
Ugh,! Me thinking Kemosabe put blame on bow and arrow
Maybe mask fall over eyes!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

DavidABQ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:40 pm
Wow! That is a very nice group! My Anschutz 1712 at 100 meters prints a group that would make a shotgun proud.

You need to do some ammo testing. A 1712 should be capable of sub minute groups. Check different ammo and ano different torque settings on your action. Also see of there is any interference between your barrel and stock.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

DavidABQ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:40 pm
Wow! That is a very nice group! My Anschutz 1712 at 100 meters prints a group that would make a shotgun proud.

You need to do some ammo testing. A 1712 should be capable of sub minute groups. Check different ammo and ano different torque settings on your action. Also see of there is any interference between your barrel and stock.
DavidABQ - Nah, you don't need to do all that! Just send the rifle to me and I'll get it shooting right for you. . .someday.
It might take me years of work and investigation, but I'm willing if you are!!! =))

Finding out what it likes and getting it to shoot as we all know it should is a good bit of the FUN part!!
I shoot more outside of matches than inside!!! Really, I need to shoot even more. . . like in the wind or cold or rain - to figure out how to do those better. I've got to learn the wind "hold-offs" better for shooting AND for spotting!!!

Anyway. . . back to the day job!!!

ShootingStar
Greg Chandler
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I bought a 457 American recently. Not at all because I needed it. I am super impressed with CZ lately. I read an article someplace where someone from CZ was talking about their upgrade of the 550 to the 557 and they said they are not interested in making guns that someone can buy at walmart for $299.99 with scope ready to go hunt deer as most manufacturers seem to be going to. I think this design philosophy was used in the 457 upgrade as well.

The 457 now includes a real bolt stop, like a 54 anschutz, a separate trigger assembly much like the old rem 700 triggers. The trigger has creep and over travel adjustments. Also a pull weight adjustment screw. I have not messed with changing the spring to see what can be done there but it seems like it would be good for hunter rifle pull weight out of the box. It also appears they have done some things to improve lock time since the firing pin is much lighter.
The wood on the stock is not super pretty. Very dark and hard to tell what it is. The stock is very nicely bedded though with pillars from the factory and they added a recoil lug at the back of the action, again much like the 54 anschutz has.

To me this looks like a real good choice for an entry level silhouette gun that a person can tweak over time. It would be nice to see a low cost stock that would be good for standing shooting.