Anschutz 1712 2 stage trigger adjustment

This is what we do.
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Anschutz 1712 2 stage trigger adjustment

Post by Tony »

I have a 1712 that I bought new about 3 years ago. It has a 2 stage trigger that is set to 2 pounds 2 oz. The problem is that I can only get a little under a pound in the first stage and the remaining weight in the second stage. I would like to get it set to about 1 pound 6oz in the first stage. The only markings on the trigger are the # 1927. My question, is there a way to get this trigger set where I would like it or do I have.to buy a different trigger. If buying a new trigger is the only option, what are some recommendations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Anschutz 1712 2 stage trigger adjustment

Post by acorneau »

As far as I know there is no way to adjust the two separate stages, you basically get half first stage and half the second.

In order to have the fully adjustable trigger you have to get the 5018 trigger, and even then it is not a drop-in trigger to the 1712 receiver.

If you really want the fully adjustable trigger your best bet is to find a 54:18 action and build a rifle from there.
Allen Corneau
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

^^^ that is the way I understand it too.... if not I am sure someone will be along in a moment... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Tony,
Not trying to be a smart-alec here, so don't take it that way.

There have been some good posts here on how to do that, so do a search and I'm sure you can find some.
The 1712 trigger came in 2 slightly different flavors the older (pre 2009) 5109 and the newer 5109/2 (which has the side safety). It looks like yours is the 5109/2. It doesn't really matter in the adjustment, but I think it's always good to know what you have before you start googling one it.

Also, there is a good explanation on RimfireCentral - in the Anschutz forum. Again do a search, but the title was "Adjusting the Anschutz 5109 Trigger on a 1712" Good pictures and clear instructions.

You can only change the 1st stage weight and the sear engagement. Sometimes the sear engagement makes the 2nd stage feel more or less, but you are REALLY only adjusting sear engagement. Be very careful with that! You don't want to make your gun unsafe!!!

Good luck.
ShootingStar
Greg
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Something that seemed to work for me when trying to achieve the lighter second stage is lubing the sear. I was getting some real inconsistent pulls on my 5109 trigger until I lubed it. It actually lightened the pull by about 6 oz. According to my Lyman digital pull gauge my first stage is 1lbs. 8oz. second stage is 10 oz. coming in at 2lbs 2oz. total.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

Maybe should be separate thread...How often do you need to relub and what do you use? I've tried Montana Extreme oil and cant say it helped the consistency. Looked for my moly lub and didnt chase it down to date. I felt the sear engaging return spring was not resetting the same each shot. Those 'hair trigger' OPPS then play with the mind-- will it be 2# or another 1#er? Glad it has worked for you. Best wishes
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Maybe the OP should consider buying a new Anschutz 54.30 barreled action and build a rifle from scratch?
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

A new build would be nice but if I can possibly spend a few bucks to improve or replace the original trigger I would be fine with that. That would allow more funds to be used on a few other builds already in progress.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I throw some XF-7 Gun Grease on a toothpick and spread it on the sear once a year. Stays very consistent. I've checked the trigger using this grease with my digital trigger gauge in the cold and the heat and I have seen no change.

http://www.xf7gungrease.com/store/c1/Fe ... ducts.html
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »